Finding RLC from Freq and Impediance (AC Ckt)

• Thread starter i4k20c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rlc
In summary, the equation for resonant frequency is fr=\omega/2(Pi) and the equation for thetha==(tan^-1)[(Xl-Xc)/R] however using what you said in the post below, if Xl and Xc are equal at resonance than it would equal 0, and 0/Resoancne * tan-1 would equal 0; however it is not, the angle is 2.8 as stated by the problem...which is where i get confused! :confused:When the frequency is 60 Hz, it is at resonance and Xl=Xc.When the frequency is at 50 Hz, Xl is not equal to Xc, and the angle is
i4k20c
[SOLVED] Finding RLC from Freq and Impediance (AC Ckt)

Homework Statement

1. Determine the values of R, L and C in an AC circuit to satisfy the following criteria:
(i) the impedance at resonance is 5 k Ohms
(ii) the resonant frequency is 60 Hz (USA standard)
(iii) the voltage lags the current in the circuit by 2.8 degrees at a frequency of 50
Hz (the European standard).
(iv) Draw the phasor diagram for the impedance at 50 Hz.

2. Find the impedance and phase angle for this circuit at f = 1 kHz. Then draw the impedance diagram at this frequency.

Homework Equations

R: Xr=R
L: Xl=wL
C:Xc=1/wC

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that Frequency = w/2(pi) so i can plug in 60hz=w/2(pi) to get a angular frequency=376.99 rad/s and since w=2(pi)/T i can get a time of .0166seconds...

but i get stuck after that point, cause i can't find equations that relate any more variables without the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
after speaking with a friend, i realize that at resonance the impedance is the resistance, so R=5000ohms, but that still doesn't give me much in solving for L or C...

Hi i4k20c,

Looking at parts ii and iii: What is the expression for the resonance frequency, and the expression for the phase angle between the current and voltage in the AC circuit? Both of those quantities depend on L and C.

Can someone please help me with this same problem!? I have no clue how to do it!

Hi hinuqueen88,

In post #2 it was shown how the resistance was found. (At resonance the inductive reactance [itex]X_L[/itex] equals the capacitive reactance [itex]X_C[/itex]. Do you see how when that is true the impedance equals resistance?)

The resonant frequency is given; what is the formula for resonant frequency? The phase angle (at a non-resonant frequency) is given; what is the formula for the phase angle? Once you have those written down, you should be able to get L and C.

(In the criteria given in the original problem, (i) is referring to the impedance if the RLC part is attached to a USA standard voltage source with f=60 Hz; (iii) is referring to the phase angle if it is instead attached to a European standard voltage source with f=50 Hz.)

Last edited:
alphysicist said:
Hi i4k20c,

Looking at parts ii and iii: What is the expression for the resonance frequency, and the expression for the phase angle between the current and voltage in the AC circuit? Both of those quantities depend on L and C.

[tex]\theta[/tex]=(tan^-1)[(Xl-Xc)/R] however using what you said in the post below, if Xl and Xc are equal at resonance than it would equal 0, and 0/Resoancne * tan-1 would equal 0; however it is not, the angle is 2.8 as stated by the problem...

which is where i get confused! :confused:

When the frequency is 60 Hz, it is at resonance and Xl=Xc.

When the frequency is at 50 Hz, Xl is not equal to Xc, and the angle is 2.8 degrees.

So Xl at 50 Hz is not equal to Xl at 60 Hz (and the same for Xc). Xl and Xc depend on what frequency you are using so they change when you change the frequency.

alphysicist said:
Hi hinuqueen88,

In post #2 it was shown how the resistance was found. (At resonance the inductive reactance [itex]X_L[/itex] equals the capacitive reactance [itex]X_C[/itex]. Do you see how when that is true the impedance equals resistance?)

The resonant frequency is given; what is the formula for resonant frequency? The phase angle (at a non-resonant frequency) is given; what is the formula for the phase angle? Once you have those written down, you should be able to get L and C.

(In the criteria given in the original problem, (i) is referring to the impedance if the RLC part is attached to a USA standard voltage source with f=60 Hz; (iii) is referring to the phase angle if it is instead attached to a European standard voltage source with f=50 Hz.)

sorry for the multitude of questions, i want to say i truly appreciate your help.

the equation for resonant frequency is fr=[tex]\omega[/tex]/2(Pi) and the equation for thetha==(tan^-1)[(Xl-Xc)/R]

so would i be plugging in 2.8=(tan^-1)[(Xl-Xc)/5000ohms]?

and i know that Xl=[tex]\omega[/tex]L and Xc=1/[tex]\omega[/tex]C

so either way i feel like i am left with two unknowns in one equation.

Hi ik420c,

The relationship [itex] \omega = 2 \pi f[/itex] is true for any frequency. But the resonant frequency is

[tex]
\omega_r = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC} }
[/tex]

(To see why this is true, remember that at resonance [itex]X_L = X_C[/itex]. But [itex]X_L=\omega L[/itex] and [itex]X_C = 1/(\omega C)[/itex]. Setting these equal gives:

[tex]
\omega L = \frac{1}{\omega C} \Longrightarrow \omega^2 = \frac{1}{LC}\Longrightarrow \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}
[/tex]

That should give you two equations in two unknowns. What do you get?

hmmm. okay, from that i get something like this.

[tex]\omega[/tex]L=1[tex]/\omega[/tex]L => [tex]\omega[/tex]=1[tex]/\sqrt{LC}[/tex] = 60/2(pi) so LC=(2pi[tex]/60[/tex])^2 and rewriting it in terms of L=(2pi[tex]/60[/tex])^2 * (1[tex]/C[/tex]

We also know that
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=(tan^-1) [2(pi)(50)]-([1/(2(pi)(50))]C)[tex]/R[/tex]

so plugging in our unknowns i should get

(5000[tex]\Omega[/tex])tan(2.8)= [100(pi)L]-[1/(100(pi)(C))][tex]/R[/tex]

and plugging in subsitution for L, i get...
(5000[tex]\Omega[/tex])tan(2.8)= [100(pi)(((2)(pi)/60)^2)(1/C)]-[1/(100(pi)(C))][tex]/R[/tex]

and when solving for that i get a quadratic that looks like 0.0314C^2+244C-3.44=0 giving me a C=729.66... however when i plug this into get a L=1.50x10^-5 and plug both my L and C into the theta equation to check my work and see if i get 2.8, i don't =(

i4k20c said:
and plugging in subsitution for L, i get...
(5000[tex]\Omega[/tex])tan(2.8)= [100(pi)(((2)(pi)/60)^2)(1/C)]-[1/(100(pi)(C))][tex]/R[/tex]

and when solving for that i get a quadratic that looks like 0.0314C^2+244C-3.44=0 giving me a C=729.66... however when i plug this into get a L=1.50x10^-5 and plug both my L and C into the theta equation to check my work and see if i get 2.8, i don't =(

I don't think that should give you a quadratic (by the way the R on the right side should not be there since you have already moved it to the left). Your equation with numerical values is:

[tex]
5000 \tan(2.8) = 100 \pi \frac{4 \pi^2}{60^2}\frac{1}{C} -\frac{1}{100\pi} \frac{1}{C}
[/tex]

You can factor out a 1/C from both terms on the right side:

[tex]
5000 \tan(2.8) = \left(100 \pi \frac{4 \pi^2}{60^2} -\frac{1}{100\pi}\right) \frac{1}{C}
[/tex]

What do you get for C and L?

1. What is RLC in an AC circuit?

RLC refers to the three components of an AC circuit: resistance (R), inductance (L), and capacitance (C). These components affect the impedance of the circuit and are important in understanding the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do I find the RLC values from frequency and impedance?

To find the RLC values from frequency and impedance, you can use an RLC meter or calculate them using the following formulas: R = impedance x cosine of phase angle, L = impedance / (2 x pi x frequency x sine of phase angle), C = 1 / (2 x pi x frequency x impedance x cosine of phase angle).

3. What is the significance of finding RLC values in an AC circuit?

Finding RLC values in an AC circuit allows you to understand the behavior of the circuit, including the relationship between voltage and current, resonance frequency, and bandwidth. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting AC circuits.

4. Can the RLC values change in an AC circuit?

Yes, the RLC values can change in an AC circuit depending on the frequency of the AC signal, the values of the components, and the type of circuit. For example, in a resonant circuit, the RLC values will change at the resonant frequency.

5. How do I use the RLC values to troubleshoot an AC circuit?

By comparing the calculated RLC values to the expected values, you can identify any discrepancies and troubleshoot the circuit accordingly. For example, if the calculated RLC values do not match the measured values, there may be a faulty component in the circuit.