Finding Resonating Frequencies in Pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses a student struggling with their teacher's explanations and seeking help with a physics homework problem involving sound wave resonances in open and closed pipes. The student is unsure about the equations and concepts involved and is having difficulty finding the correct answers. The summary also includes a link to a helpful resource for understanding these types of problems.
metsjetsfan
So my teacher is horrible, and I pretty much have to teach myself everything. With this question, I am getting different answers than my teacher, and my teacher has been unable to explain to me satisfactorily why and how she got her answers.

So please help me out, and even give some kind of concept explanation if you can.

Thanks

Homework Statement

A sound wave resonates inside an open pipe filled with air at room temperature at 2nd harmonic and 1st overtone. The length of the pipe is 33 cm.

a-determine the wavelength of the resonating sound wave

b-determine the frequency of the tuning fork

c-determine the next higher frequency that will resonate in a pipe of this length

d-if the open pipe is replaced with a pipe which is closed at one end, what would have to be the length of the closed pipe for the original tuning fork to resonate at its fundamental frequency?

Homework Equations

I actually found this equation on my own and my teacher didn't use it, but here it is:

f=nv/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)-pretty simple i thought. wavelength=2L/n so wavelength= 33 cm

(b)-this was ok, though not completely sure.

f=nv/2L=2*343/(2*0.33)=1039 hz

(c)-this is where the problems arrive:

since i believe it's asking for the third harmonic (the next higher frequency that will resonate) i thought i should just do:

f=nv/2L so f= 3*343/ (2*0.33) = 1559 hz

but my teacher said that L= 2*wavelength, and wavelength = L/2 = 0.33/2= .166
and f = 343/.166 = 2078 hz

but i think that is the fourth harmonic, which is not what we're looking for. This is where my problem comes in terms of concept.

(d) ok this was the hardest part. the diagram shows what looks like a fourth of a wavelength in the pipe with a node at the closed end. so i thought that I should set the fundamental frequency of the first tuning fork, which i found to be 520, equal to v/4L.
I then got 4L = 0.66, L= 16.5 cm
But my teacher just did L=wavelength / 4 = .33/4 = 8.25 cm

PLEASE HELP ME. My teacher is killing me, and I could really use guidance on this stuff.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an open ended column then you have the wavelength is the length of the column.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/sound/u11l5c.html

You get a frequency of 1039hz looks like to me.

The third harmonic for an open ended pipe is one more 1/2 wavelength. (3 times the fundamental).

For the closed end pipe:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/sound/u11l5d.html

Recall that the wavelength of the tuning fork before was 33cm, so 1/4 of that would be 33/4 wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
so is the answer to part c 1559 then?

Last edited:
and for part d, my problem is that the fundamental frequency for the original tuning fork would be 520 hz because that is half of the 1039 hz from part b.

but then that means the wavelength= 340 m/s / 520 hz = .65 m. And then 1/4 of .65= .1625.

I understand the shortcut for why it is 33/4 but why does it not work the long way?

Related to Finding Resonating Frequencies in Pipes

What are harmonic waves and how do they relate to pipes?

Harmonic waves are a type of wave that occurs in periodic motion, where the particles of the medium vibrate in a synchronized way. They are characterized by having a fundamental frequency and integer multiples of that frequency, known as harmonics. Harmonic waves are important in pipes because they are generated when air molecules inside the pipe vibrate, producing sound waves that travel through the pipe.

What is the difference between open and closed pipes in terms of harmonic waves?

In open pipes, both ends of the pipe are open, allowing for the air molecules to vibrate freely. This results in the presence of all harmonics, including the fundamental frequency. In closed pipes, one end of the pipe is closed, causing a node (point of no vibration) at that end. This results in only odd-numbered harmonics being present, with the fundamental frequency being absent.

How do the length and diameter of a pipe affect the harmonic waves produced?

The length of a pipe affects the wavelength of the harmonic waves, and therefore, the frequency. A longer pipe will have a longer wavelength and lower frequency, while a shorter pipe will have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency. The diameter of the pipe also affects the frequency, with smaller diameters producing higher frequencies.

What is the relationship between the speed of sound and the frequency of harmonic waves in a pipe?

The speed of sound in a medium is directly proportional to the frequency of the harmonic waves in that medium. This means that as the speed of sound increases, so does the frequency of the harmonic waves. Therefore, in a pipe with higher air temperature (which results in a higher speed of sound), the frequency of the harmonic waves will also increase.

How are standing waves formed in a pipe?

Standing waves are formed when two identical harmonic waves, traveling in opposite directions, interfere with each other. In a pipe, this occurs when the length of the pipe is equal to a multiple of half the wavelength of the harmonic wave. This results in a stationary pattern of nodes and antinodes, creating a standing wave.