Finding Resistance in Infinite Chain of Resistors

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about solving an infinite chain of resistors in a ladder circuit. Various equations and approaches are mentioned, including adding another rung of resistors and using the concept of parallel resistance. The correct quadratic equation for the effective resistance is given, with a solution related to the golden ratio. A potential discrepancy with the expected answer from a textbook is also mentioned.
GingerBread27
Consider the above infinite chain of resistors. Calculate the effective resistance, R in ohm of the network between the terminals A and B given that each of the resistances labelled r=4180 ohm.

I've split the resistor and I've done R^2-Rr-r^2=0, solving for R and I don't get the right answer.

I've also cut the resistor and worked it out so I get an equation of R^2+2Rr-2r^2=0 and I get the wrong answer.

Since it is an infinite chain I thought it was possible to split the resistor and keep maybe the first two or three resistors.

Please Help!

Attachments

• prob02a.gif
    prob02a.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,158
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not know how to solve this one. It felt like I should have been able to though. So I looked it up this problem type to see how they were genraly sovled. These types of problems are called ladder circuits. This is a infinite ladder ciruit, below is a link that expalins how to sovle them in genral. I do not think ladder circuits are focused on much now adays in electrical engineering since op amps are easier to use and cheap. What class is this problem for if you don't mind me asking?
http://www.crbond.com/papers/ent2-3.pdf
The general apporach to solving these circuit seems to be to add another rung of reistors on the front end of the circuit. Since the chain of rungs are in Infinite this will not change the reistance, but will give you an equation for the reistance.

What do you mean by "splitting the resistor" ? At any rate, your first equation [itex]R^2 - Rr - r^2 = 0[/itex] is correct.

Basically, I would approach it by observing that :

[tex]r + r||R = R[/tex]

where [itex]||[/itex] refers to "parallel to".

That gives the first quadratic you got (the second one is wrong). The solution of the correct quadratic is related to the golden ratio.

What answer was the book expecting ? If it's not [tex]R = r(\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2})[/tex], the book is wrong.

This is for a homework assignment for Physics 2 with Calculus.

Related to Finding Resistance in Infinite Chain of Resistors

1. How do you calculate the total resistance in an infinite chain of resistors?

The total resistance in an infinite chain of resistors can be calculated using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the chain. This formula assumes that all the resistors in the chain are identical.

2. Can the total resistance in an infinite chain of resistors ever be zero?

No, the total resistance in an infinite chain of resistors can never be zero. This is because even if one resistor has a value of 0 ohms, there will always be an infinite number of resistors in the chain, resulting in a non-zero total resistance.

3. Does the number of resistors in the chain affect the total resistance?

Yes, the number of resistors in the chain does affect the total resistance. As the number of resistors increases, the total resistance also increases, assuming all the resistors have the same value. This is because the more resistors there are, the more paths there are for the current to flow through, resulting in a higher overall resistance.

4. What happens to the total resistance if the resistors in the chain have different values?

If the resistors in the chain have different values, the total resistance will also be different. In this case, the total resistance can be calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the chain. This formula takes into account the different values of the resistors.

5. Is it possible to have an infinite chain of resistors in a real-life circuit?

No, it is not possible to have an infinite chain of resistors in a real-life circuit. This is because the length of the circuit would have to be infinite, which is physically impossible. However, the concept of an infinite chain of resistors can be used in theoretical calculations and simulations to understand the behavior of circuits with a large number of resistors.