Finding resistance (electric circuit)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance of a carbon wire and a Nichrome wire in series at a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius. The equations used include resistivity, resistance changes by temperature, and Ohm's law. The goal is to find the resistance of each wire at 0 degrees Celsius so that the total resistance remains at 10.0kΩ regardless of temperature. The solution involves manipulating the equations and canceling out terms to find the individual resistances.
Acuben
First of all, thank you taking a look at this. I hope to return to community in the future as I got help today.
I'm assuming this belongs to introductory physics, so I'll post here, feel free to move if I posted in wrong section.

Homework Statement

A carbon wire and a Nichrome wire are connected in series, so that the same current exists in both wires. If the combination has a resistance of 10.0k[tex]\Omega[/tex] at 0celcius, what is the resistance of each wire at 0Celcius? so that the resistance of the combination does not change with temperature? The total or equivalent resistance of resistors in series is the sum of their individual resistances

[tex]\rho[/tex] is rho which stands for resistivity
[tex]\alpha[/tex] is alph which stands for Temperature coefficient

[tex]\rho[/tex](carbon)=3.5x10^-5
[tex]\alpha[/tex](carbon)=-0.5x10^-3
[tex]\rho[/tex](nichrome)=1.5x10^-6
[tex]\alpha[/tex](nichrome)=0.4x10^-3

Homework Equations

I honestly have no idea what equations to use here, but i'll put what can possibly be used

Resistivity and Resistance changes by temperature
[tex]\rho[/tex](0) stands for resistivity at 20celcius
R(0) stands for Resistance at 20celcius
[tex]\Delta[/tex]T is T(final)-T(0) and T(0) is 20celcius

[tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\rho[/tex](0)[1+a*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
R=R(0)[1+a*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]

I=electrical current in units Ampere
V=Voltage in coulomb
I=[tex]\Delta[/tex]V / R

and general R=[tex]\rho[/tex] * l / A
where...
l= length
A= area

this equation may be manipulated like...
R(carbon)=R(0carbon)[1+a(carbon)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
R(nichrome)=R(0nichrome)[1+a(nichrome)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
add these two equation and...
R(total)=R(0carbon)[1+a(carbon)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T] + R(0nichrome)[1+a(nichrome)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
and R(total)=10.0[tex]\Omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think none of the work I have so far is useful... if necessary, i'll post more info

I'm saying I don't think they'll help because I don't think the work I have is toward the right direction xD

but so far I added R(carbon)=R(0carbon)[1+a(carbon)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
R(nichrome)=R(0nichrome)[1+a(nichrome)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
add these two equation and...
R(total)=R(0carbon)[1+a(carbon)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T] + R(0nichrome)[1+a(nichrome)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]

and since temperature does not change, R(nichrome)=R(0nichrome) and R(carbon)=R(0carbon)
same goes for [tex]\rho[/tex]

It's given that I (current) is the same and I'm guessing that voltage is the same as well opening room for...
R(total) = V/I
although this seems to be irrelevant...

and to poke the problem from different angle...
can I safely assume that [tex]\alpha[/tex](total)=C*[tex]\alpha[/tex](carbon) + N * [tex]\alpha[/tex](nichrome)
C= percentage of carbon
N= percentage of Nichrome
assuming percentage is percentage of free electrons? (or should I try mass?)

anyways, hardest part for this problem is setting up the problem. Even conceptual answer would be helpful. I need know what "directions" I should take =p right now I'm just poking the problem from every side aimlessly.
thank you.

edit: Answer is 5.56k[tex]\Omega[/tex], 4.44k[tex]\Omega[/tex] (i don't know which one's which, but I don think that'll be problem once I figure out how to solve this problem).

edit2: I added
R(carbon)=R(0carbon) * [1+[tex]\alpha[/tex](carbon)[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
R(nichrome)=R(0nichrome) * [1+[tex]\alpha[/tex](nichrome)[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]

and canceling out lots of "R" (considering R(total)=R(0total)
R(0total) is R, resistance, at 20celcius
R(total) is resistance at 0 celcius

I know that R(carbon)+R(nichrome)=R(total)=10.0 k Ohms
but i forgot to use this as well since total resistance is always 10.0k Ohms regardless of temperature
R(0carbon)+R(0nichrome)=R(0total)=10.0 k Ohms

anyways after adding those two equations (right under edit:2) I got up to R(0carbon)=4.44k Ohms.
Problem is, the problem asks for R(carbon) not R(0carbon)
so I use R(carbon)=R(0carbon) * [1+[tex]\alpha[/tex](carbon)[tex]\Delta[/tex]T]
and I get R(carbon)=4.40k Ohms... my R(0carbon) is rather closer to the answer ><

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Acuben said:

You need this equations only. Collect the terms in R(total) which contain ΔT and make the coefficient cancel, so as the total resistance do not depend on T. Try.

ehild

Related to Finding resistance (electric circuit)

What is resistance in an electric circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

How do you calculate resistance in an electric circuit?

The formula for calculating resistance is R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage in volts, and I is the current in amperes. This formula is known as Ohm's Law.

What factors affect resistance in an electric circuit?

The three main factors that affect resistance in an electric circuit are the length of the conductor, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the material of the conductor. Other factors such as temperature, type of circuit, and presence of other components may also affect resistance.

Why is resistance important in an electric circuit?

Resistance is important in an electric circuit because it determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. It also helps regulate the flow of electricity and prevents damage to components or appliances.

How can resistance be measured in an electric circuit?

Resistance can be measured using a multimeter or ohmmeter. These devices measure the voltage across a component and the current flowing through it, and then use Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance. Resistance can also be calculated by measuring the dimensions and material of a conductor and using the resistivity formula.