Finding refractive index by interpolation

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding refractive indices for both polarizations at 760nm in a specific problem related to dispersion. These methods include interpolation, fitting the data to find Sellmeier coefficients, and using other models such as the Cauchy model. The individual involved in the conversation is unsure of which method is best suited for their specific problem and is seeking guidance.
Chen
The problem is described here:
http://phstudy.technion.ac.il/~wn117066/Problems2.pdf

In question 1 I need to find the refractive indices for both polarizations at 760nm. I'm not quite sure how to go about this - which model of dispersion best fits Calomel?

(I'm done with the exercise itself, now I just need to plug in the refractive indices values to get a numerical result...)

Thanks,
Chen

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interpolation is the process of estimating a value from a discrete set of ordered pairs of data. You could use a linear interpolation, or since you have three rather widely spaced points you could use a second degree polynomial (parabola) to fit the data and extract the interpolated data point. Most graphing calculators have a built in fitting program for this, probably called a quadratic regression. Or you could derive the equation from the three data points you are given and use it to find the additional popint you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation

I'm well familiar with the definition of interpolation, thank you.

physics girl phd said:
Or you could fit the data to find the sellmeier coefficients:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellmeier_equation
I considered that route, but having only 3 data points available makes it a bit hard to find those coefficients...

You could also use other models with fewer coefficients -- since yeah, you only have three points and probably don't want to trucate the Sellmeier series approach by too much (sorry I didn't notice that :rolleyes:):

http://www.optics.arizona.edu/Palmer/cgi-bin/index/dispeqns.pdf

The Cauchy model is common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that seems sensible. I'll report back if anything goes awry...

Related to Finding refractive index by interpolation

1. What is the purpose of finding the refractive index by interpolation?

Finding the refractive index by interpolation allows us to determine the refractive index of a material at a specific wavelength by using data points from known refractive indices at nearby wavelengths.

2. How is interpolation used to find the refractive index?

Interpolation is used to estimate the refractive index at a specific wavelength by using a mathematical formula to calculate the value based on the known refractive indices at surrounding wavelengths.

3. What data is needed to find the refractive index by interpolation?

To find the refractive index by interpolation, we need a set of data points consisting of known refractive indices at various wavelengths for the material in question. The more data points we have, the more accurate the interpolation will be.

4. What is the formula used for finding the refractive index by interpolation?

The most commonly used formula for finding the refractive index by interpolation is the Cauchy equation, which is n(λ) = A + B/λ² + C/λ⁴, where n is the refractive index and λ is the wavelength.

5. What are the limitations of finding the refractive index by interpolation?

The accuracy of the refractive index found by interpolation depends on the quality and quantity of the data points used. Interpolation may also not be reliable for materials with complex refractive index profiles or for wavelengths that are far from the known data points.