Finding radius given three points?

In summary, the person is seeking help with finding the radius of a circle and is asking for guidance on how to approach the problem. They are also being reminded to follow the forum rules and provide information on what they already know and have tried.
nowayhosesay
How do I go about finding the radius of the circle, I seem to be stumped on this question?

*dimensions in attachment are not to scale, just a rough sketch.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
so, this segment that is 3 cm long, is it on a line satisfying some special relation with respect to the line on which the 10 cm segment lies?

There is a format here for posting this kind of homework assignment. Read the forum rules. When you have stated what you know and what you have tried so far someone will be able to give you help with what you're having trouble with. Just saying "I seem to be stumped" looks a lot like "gee guys, how about just spoon feeding me the answer to this so that I don't have to think". I'm not trying to be rude with this, just help you understand how this forum works.

Related to Finding radius given three points?

1. How do you find the radius given three points?

To find the radius given three points, you will need to use the distance formula. First, find the distance between any two of the three points using the distance formula. Then, repeat this process for the other two pairs of points. The radius will be the same distance for all three points.

2. What is the distance formula?

The distance formula is a mathematical equation used to find the distance between two points on a coordinate plane. It is given by: d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2].

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the radius?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the radius if the three points form a right triangle. The radius would be equal to the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle.

4. Is it possible to find the radius if the three points are not collinear?

Yes, it is possible to find the radius even if the three points are not collinear. As long as the three points are equidistant from a single point (the center of the circle), the same distance formula can be used to find the radius.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the radius given three points?

Some real-world applications of finding the radius given three points include determining the size of a crater or impact site, calculating the distance between a satellite and a planet, and measuring the radius of a circular object or feature such as a tire or a circular pool.