Finding R, I & V in an PLC output interface

In summary,The relay requires a minimum of 50 mA to energise.The voltage across R1 is 4.4V, the value of R1 is 4.4kOhms, the voltage across the relay coil is 8V, and the collector emitter voltage when the transistor is on is 1V.
cjm181

Homework Statement

The circuit shown below is part of the interface of a relay output module. Ib is 1 mA and VCC is 9 V. The relay requires a minimum of 50 mA to energise.

Complete the values of the assumptions listed below in order to

calculate:

• voltage across R1
• value of R1
• voltage across the relay coil
• voltage across R2
• value of R2
• collector of current Ic.

Assumptions:

Logic '1' = V
Logic '0' = V
Transistor forward current gain hfe =
LED current = 10 mA
LED voltage drop at 10 mA = V
Base/emitter voltage = V
Collector emitter voltage when transistor is on = 1 V

Q6d.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, to complete the list off assumptions:

Logic '1' = This is usually 5V.
Logic '0' = This is usually 0V

Transistor forward current gain hfe =

Gain = (50+10)/1 = 60

LED current = 10 mA
LED voltage drop at 10 mA = V
2.4V

Base/emitter voltage = V

Assuming transistor is silicone. voltage drop of this transistor between the base and emitter is 0.6V

Collector emitter voltage when transistor is on = 1 V

So, now to find the answers:

• voltage across R1
V(R1) = 5-0.6 = 4.4V

• value of R1
R=V/I = 4.4/1mA = 4.4kOhms

voltage across the relay coil
8V. Transistor has 1v drop, supply is 9, each leg in parallel circuit is the same.

voltage across R2
If the LED has a drop of 2.4V, and the leg has 8V, then the voltage across R2 is:

8-2.4=5.6V

• value of R2
R2=V/I = 5.6/10mA = 560 Ohms

collector of current Ic.
Gain of 60, so:
60xbase current = 60x1mA = 60mA

Is this looking good?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok. I think I might drive the base a bit harder. I don't think 4k4 is a standard size so I'd used the next E24 value down which I think is 4k3 or 3k9.

In real life you would check the resistance of the relay coil and perhaps put a resistor in series with the coil. You wouldn't normally rely on the base current and the transistor gain to set the relay coil current. Transistor gains are usually very variable. What if the shop sold you a very good one and the gain was actually 120?

CWatters said:
In real life you would check the resistance of the relay coil and perhaps put a resistor in series with the coil. You wouldn't normally rely on the base current and the transistor gain to set the relay coil current.
Putting a resistor in series with the coil diminishes that current. "In real life" the coil resistance is designed so that a saturated transistor voltage acrosss the coil (i.e. ~9V here) provides at least the minimum required pull-in current. The transistor is therefore operated in the saturated mode.

Is it not 8V across the coil? 9V supply, 1V drop across the transistor?

I am just asking as I have answered 8V across the coil and across the leg containing R2 and the LED.

Thanks

cjm181 said:
Is it not 8V across the coil? 9V supply, 1V drop across the transistor?

I am just asking as I have answered 8V across the coil and across the leg containing R2 and the LED.

Thanks
Why 1V across the transistor? You're right in that there will be some drop, but if you look at typical transistor characteristic graphs you will find that the drop is more like 0.1V, maybe 0.2V. The main thing is to ensure sufficient base drive to ensure saturation, that typically is 0.1ic.

rude man said:
Why 1V across the transistor? You're right in that there will be some drop, but if you look at typical transistor characteristic graphs you will find that the drop is more like 0.1V, maybe 0.2V. The main thing is to ensure sufficient base drive to ensure saturation, that typically is 0.1ic.
Does the question not say it's 1v?

"Collector emitter voltage when the transistor is on = 1v"

Thanks

cjm181 said:
Does the question not say it's 1v?

"Collector emitter voltage when the transistor is on = 1v"

Thanks
It was listed under "assumptions". It's not realistic. Besides, the list had almost no numbers in it (Vce was one of 2/7) so I didn't pay too much attention to it ...

Related to Finding R, I & V in an PLC output interface

1. How do I find the R, I, and V values in an PLC output interface?

To find the resistance (R), current (I), and voltage (V) values in a PLC output interface, you will need to use a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the appropriate setting for the type of signal you are measuring (DC or AC). Then, connect the multimeter leads to the corresponding terminals on the PLC output interface. The multimeter will display the values for R, I, and V.

2. What is the purpose of finding R, I, and V in an PLC output interface?

Finding the R, I, and V values in a PLC output interface is important for troubleshooting and maintenance purposes. These values can help you identify any issues with the interface and determine if it is functioning properly.

3. How does the resistance (R) affect the PLC output interface?

The resistance (R) in a PLC output interface is determined by the type and length of the circuit. It can affect the amount of current that can flow through the interface, which in turn can impact the overall performance of the PLC system.

4. What is the relationship between current (I) and voltage (V) in a PLC output interface?

Current (I) and voltage (V) have an inverse relationship in a PLC output interface. This means that as the voltage increases, the current decreases and vice versa. This relationship is determined by Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

5. How can I use the R, I, and V values to troubleshoot issues with a PLC output interface?

The R, I, and V values can provide valuable information in troubleshooting issues with a PLC output interface. If the values are not within the expected range, it could indicate a problem with the interface or the circuit. You can compare the measured values to the expected values to identify any discrepancies and determine the cause of the issue.