Finding Quantum numbers from wavefunction

In summary, the problem involves a spinless particle in a central field, and the task is to determine the quantum numbers l and l_z for two given wave functions. The approach involves expressing the wave functions in spherical coordinates and separating them into angular and radial parts. The angular part can then be expressed as a linear combination of spherical harmonics. No need to use the Schrodinger equation.
andre220

Homework Statement

Consider a spinless particle in a central field in a state described by:
[tex] \psi_a(r) = (x^2 - y^2) e^{-\alpha r^2} [/tex]
[tex] \psi_b(r) = xyz e^{-\alpha r^2} [/tex]

Find quantum numbers [tex] l [/tex] and [tex] l_z [/tex] (or their appropriate superposition) for these two cases.

Homework Equations

[tex] \psi(r) = \psi(r, \theta, \phi) = R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I am not sure where to start with this problem, I could construct the Schrodinger equation in terms of the radial and spherical harmonics and then we know that [tex] l [/tex] can be determined from this equation, yet I do not know what the potential for such equation should be.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to use the Schrodinger equation. Express the wave functions in spherical coordinates and separate it into an angular part and a radial part. You want to express the angular part as a linear combination of the spherical harmonics.

Related to Finding Quantum numbers from wavefunction

1. How do I find the quantum numbers from a given wavefunction?

To find the quantum numbers from a wavefunction, you need to solve the Schrodinger equation for the given system. This will give you the energy eigenvalues and corresponding wavefunctions, from which you can determine the quantum numbers.

2. What is the significance of quantum numbers in a wavefunction?

Quantum numbers are used to describe the energy states of a system. They determine the characteristics of the wavefunction, such as its shape, size, and orientation in space.

3. Can a wavefunction have multiple sets of quantum numbers?

Yes, a wavefunction can have multiple sets of quantum numbers if the system has degenerate energy levels. This means that there are multiple ways for the system to have the same energy.

4. How do I determine the principal quantum number from a wavefunction?

The principal quantum number, denoted as n, can be determined by counting the number of nodes in the wavefunction. The number of nodes corresponds to the value of n.

5. What is the relationship between the angular momentum quantum number and the shape of the wavefunction?

The angular momentum quantum number, denoted as l, determines the shape of the wavefunction. It determines the number of angular nodes in the wavefunction, which correspond to the different shapes of the wavefunction.