Finding quantum number n of molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quantum number for a nitrogen molecule confined to a one-dimensional box. The formula used is E_n=n^2(pi^2*hbar^2)/(2mL^2), but the resulting value of n is too large. The possibility of using c^2 in the formula is mentioned, but the issue of units is also raised. The final conclusion is that the calculated value of n should not be so large and may be due to a mistake in plugging in the numbers.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A nitrogen molecule (N2) has a mass of 4.68 x 10-26 kg. It is confined to a onedimensional
box of length L = 100 nm. What is the approximate quantum number n of
the molecule if it has a kinetic energy equal to the thermal energy kBT at room
temperature? What is n if it has a thermal energy corresponding to T = 1 K?

Homework Equations

[tex]E_n=n^2\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well it seemed like it was just plug and chug, but I'm getting an answer that I don't like. I'm getting an answer for n = 1x1014. That seems way too big.

The units also don't make sense.
According to the formula we have...
[tex]j=\frac{j^2s^2}{kg(nm)^2}[/tex]

But after just seeing an example, I see that that same formula can have c2 in both the numerator and denominator to make the units work out. But I still have the problem of having a huge quantum number. Is that number supposed to be that big?

Thanks

edit: oh and also in that example, it seems as though they converted the mass into electron volts using e=mc2, so I did the same thing and found the quantum number to be even higher. Now I'm getting 1.58x1015. Is that a legitimate quantum number? I was thinking I would get small integers, like 1,2,3,4,etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
n should not be so huge. You must be making a mistake in plugging in the numbers. Make sure all your numbers are in the same system of units.

Related to Finding quantum number n of molecule

1. What is the quantum number n and why is it important when studying molecules?

The quantum number n represents the principal quantum number, which determines the energy level and size of an electron's orbit in an atom or molecule. It is important because it provides information about the electronic structure and properties of molecules, such as their stability and reactivity.

2. How is the quantum number n calculated for a molecule?

The quantum number n can be calculated using the formula n = 2n^2, where n is the number of nodes in the electron's wave function. Alternatively, it can also be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the molecule's electronic energy levels.

3. Can the quantum number n be any value for a molecule?

No, the quantum number n can only take on positive integer values, starting from 1. This is because it represents the number of energy levels available for electrons in a molecule, and these energy levels cannot be fractional or negative.

4. How does the quantum number n affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule?

The quantum number n has a direct impact on the size, shape, and electronic configuration of a molecule, which in turn affects its physical and chemical properties. For example, molecules with higher values of n tend to be larger and have more complex structures, which can influence their reactivity and interactions with other molecules.

5. How can the quantum number n be determined experimentally?

The quantum number n can be determined experimentally through spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared and ultraviolet spectroscopy, which measure the energy levels and transitions of molecules. It can also be inferred from the molecular formula and structure of a molecule, as well as its chemical behavior and properties.