Finding q1,q2,q3; Electric charge problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of q1, q2, and q3 given that q1+q2=-1.0 and q2 is negative while q1 and q3 are positive in a row with electric field lines pointing towards q2. The equations used are F=eE, F=qE, and F=kQ/r^2, but there are still two unknowns remaining and no information on distance, E, or force is provided. The attempt at a solution involved substituting the given value into the equation and using the fundamental charge, but it proved to be ineffective.
Michael126

Homework Statement

Referring to the figure, suppose q_2 is not known. Instead, it is given that q_1+q_2=-1.0. The figure is q1 q2 q3 all lined up in a row with q2 being negative and q1 and q3 being positive as the electric field lines from both q1 and q3 point towards the negatively charged q2. Find q1, q2, and q3.

Homework Equations

F=eE, F=qE, F= kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I put q1+q2=-1.0 micro-coulombs into q1=-1.0 micro-coulombs-q2, and attempted to put that equation into the coulombs law equation but there are still two unkowns present, i can't seem to figure out where to go from there since no distance, E, or force is given.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried using the fundamental charge of 1.6*10^-19, but that proved to be ineffective as well, i did convert it to micro-coulombs

Michael126 said:

Homework Statement

Referring to the figure, suppose q_2 is not known. Instead, it is given that q_1+q_2=-1.0. The figure is q1 q2 q3 all lined up in a row with q2 being negative and q1 and q3 being positive as the electric field lines from both q1 and q3 point towards the negatively charged q2. Find q1, q2, and q3.

Homework Equations

F=eE, F=qE, F= kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I put q1+q2=-1.0 micro-coulombs into q1=-1.0 micro-coulombs-q2, and attempted to put that equation into the coulombs law equation but there are still two unkowns present, i can't seem to figure out where to go from there since no distance, E, or force is given.

Did you ever get help in solving this?

Related to Finding q1,q2,q3; Electric charge problem

1. What is q1, q2, q3 in an electric charge problem?

In an electric charge problem, q1, q2, and q3 refer to the charges on three different objects or particles. These charges can be positive or negative, and their magnitudes will affect the strength and direction of the electric field between the objects.

2. How do you calculate q1, q2, q3 in an electric charge problem?

The values of q1, q2, and q3 can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By manipulating the formula, you can solve for any of the three charges.

3. What units are used for q1, q2, q3 in an electric charge problem?

The SI unit for electric charge is the Coulomb (C). However, in some problems, you may see charges expressed in terms of microcoulombs (μC) or nanocoulombs (nC) for convenience.

4. Are there any rules or laws that govern the behavior of q1, q2, q3 in an electric charge problem?

Yes, there are several laws and principles that govern the behavior of electric charges. These include Coulomb's Law, the principle of superposition, and the conservation of charge. These laws help us understand how charges interact with each other and their surroundings.

5. How does the placement of q1, q2, q3 affect the electric field in an electric charge problem?

The placement and relative positions of the charges will affect the strength and direction of the electric field between them. If the charges are close together, the field will be stronger, and if they are far apart, the field will be weaker. The direction of the field will depend on the signs of the charges - like charges repel, and opposite charges attract.