Finding & Proving Multivariable Limits Existence: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of finding and proving the existence of multivariable limits. The participants shared their recommendations, such as using graphical tools, choosing simple sequences, and using Taylor series and l'Hopital's rule. They also discussed the interpretation of the notation ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow \infty## and the use of Taylor series in solving limits. Lastly, an example was given to demonstrate how Taylor series can simplify a limit and make it one-dimensional.
mr.tea
I have found that multivariable limits are harder to find and/or prove that something exists.
Do you have any recommendations, given questions like "find(if exists) the limit...".

For example, I have no idea how to even start thinking about the following limit(if it exists or not, and if it does, what is the value):
[tex] \lim_{\textbf{x}\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{|\textbf{x}|^2}-1}{|\textbf{x}|^2 +x_1^2x_2+x_2^2x_3} [/tex]

where [tex] \textbf{x}=(x_1,x_2,x_3)[/tex]

I would like to get any help for dealing with limits such as the aforementioned and others.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
First things I would do:
1) Plot the function with a graph tool. This way you might see if the limit exists or not.
2) If the limit exists, then if ##\mathbf{x}_n\rightarrow \mathbf{x}##, then ##f(\mathbf{x}_n)\rightarrow \text{limit}##. So choose some simple sequences and see if they all yield the same limiting value.

Also, I'm not sure what ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow \infty## means, can you define it?

Hi,

not a very good example: the ##e^{\vec x^2}## trumps everything. No limit.

In general:
focus on the heavies: the ##-1## in the numerator can be ignored.
if sensible, divide numerator and denominator by the heaviest term and see what's left over.
If what's left tends to 0/0 see which goes to 0 the fastest:
use taylor series
use l'Hopital's rule
google 'limit theorems' to find more !

BvU said:
Hi,

It could still go to infinity, which is not a limit in the real numbers but still some sort of limit. It does not, but that needs further analysis here.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what ##\mathbb{x}\rightarrow \infty## means? How are you guys interpreting this?

micromass said:
First things I would do:
1) Plot the function with a graph tool. This way you might see if the limit exists or not.
2) If the limit exists, then if ##\mathbf{x}_n\rightarrow \mathbf{x}##, then ##f(\mathbf{x}_n)\rightarrow \text{limit}##. So choose some simple sequences and see if they all yield the same limiting value.

Also, I'm not sure what ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow \infty## means, can you define it?
Oops, it should go to 0. Sorry.
What would you do if you get this question on an exam or in a situation when you can't use a graphical tool? how would you proceed?
BvU said:
Hi,

In general:
focus on the heavies: the ##-1## in the numerator can be ignored.
if sensible, divide numerator and denominator by the heaviest term and see what's left over.
If what's left tends to 0/0 see which goes to 0 the fastest:
use taylor series
use l'Hopital's rule
google 'limit theorems' to find more !

Probably the reason why the example isn't good is because ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow \infty## should be ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow 0##.
How do you use l'Hopital's rule in multivariable calculus?

Thank you for your answers.

micromass said:
Am I the only one who doesn't know what ##\mathbb{x}\rightarrow \infty## means? How are you guys interpreting this?
If ##\lim_{a \to \infty} \sup_{|x|=a} f(x) = \lim_{a \to \infty} \inf_{|x|=a} f(x) ## (assuming those things are well-defined), it makes sense to call this value "limit" I think.

For x -> 0 I would multiply numerator and denominator with the same thing to make the denominator nicely convergent (with a finite limit), which allows to simplify the expression.

Back to the example that was slightly modified to become more interesting. I would interpret ##\vec x\downarrow \vec 0## as: going to ##(0,0,0)## from any possible direction. (Must admit I never had any of these vector limits on an exam -- at least I don't remember :smile:).

Taylor series is good for the numerator: ##\exp (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) - 1 = (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) + \mathcal O\left ( (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2)^2 \; \right ) ##.
Divide numerator and denominator by ## (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) ## and get (1 + small stuff) / (1 + small stuff) ##\Rightarrow ## limit exists and is 1.

mfb said:
If ##\lim_{a \to \infty} \sup_{|x|=a} f(x) = \lim_{a \to \infty} \inf_{|x|=a} f(x) ## (assuming those things are well-defined), it makes sense to call this value "limit" I think.

It makes sense, and this is the likely interpretation if you get something like this. But it is not the only possible interpretation. With ##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow 0## it is very unambigious. With "##\mathbf{x}\rightarrow \infty##, I think it should be defined first. But anyway, the problem has an error so it's not important.

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU said:
Back to the example that was slightly modified to become more interesting. I would interpret ##\vec x\downarrow \vec 0## as: going to ##(0,0,0)## from any possible direction. (Must admit I never had any of these vector limits on an exam -- at least I don't remember :smile:).

Taylor series is good for the numerator: ##\exp (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) - 1 = (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) + \mathcal O\left ( (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2)^2 \; \right ) ##.
Divide numerator and denominator by ## (x_1^2 +x_2^2+x_3^2) ## and get (1 + small stuff) / (1 + small stuff) ##\Rightarrow ## limit exists and is 1.

Thank you. This is really becomes easy with Taylor series. I think I should use it more often in these situations.

I will collect your advice and try to do some more exercises. Still, if you have more suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them.

Thank you all.

BvU said:
"From any possible direction" works only if you include curved "directions". There are functions where all straight lines lead to 1-dimensional functions that converge nicely, but the actual two-dimensional function does not converge. One example:
$$f(x) = \frac{xy}{x^2+y}$$

As bonus, it makes the three-dimensional limit one-dimensional, as we have to care about |x| only.

Likes BvU
micromass said:
I didn't know either. At latest when it comes to differentials such a sloppy notation will heavily strike back.

I take this opportunity to make a basic question.
there is some method to determine if the limit exists?, and not try all possible ways to reach the indeterminate point.
example:
upload_2016-7-29_23-28-52.png

the limit is 0 but the method is try the path of x=0, y=0, y=mx , y=mx^2+nx.
there any way to know if the limit exists or not exist that does not involve check all the paths like a computer ?

MAGNIBORO said:
I take this opportunity to make a basic question.
there is some method to determine if the limit exists?, and not try all possible ways to reach the indeterminate point.
example:
View attachment 104074
the limit is 0 but the method is try the path of x=0, y=0, y=mx , y=mx^2+nx.
there any way to know if the limit exists or not exist that does not involve check all the paths like a computer ?

My first thought when I saw this limit was moving to polar coordinates, because it has terms that look like ##x^2+y^2##. So I just added in the denominator ##+4x^2-4x^2(=0)## to get something with the ##5y^2##. Then I arrived to ##r\cdot ##(some finite number) which goes to 0 as ##r## goes to 0.

MAGNIBORO said:
that does not involve check all the paths like a computer ?
There is an infinite set of paths, you cannot check them all.

Going to radial coordinates is often a good approach.

radical coordinates is good, ok.
thanks =D

Related to Finding & Proving Multivariable Limits Existence: Tips & Tricks

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a specific point in multiple dimensions. It is used to determine if a function has a well-defined value at a particular point or if it approaches different values from different directions.

2. How do you find a multivariable limit?

To find a multivariable limit, you must first determine if the limit exists by evaluating the function at the point in question from different directions. If the values are consistent, the limit exists, and you can find its value by plugging in the point's coordinates into the function.

3. What are some tips for finding multivariable limits?

One tip for finding multivariable limits is to approach the point from different directions, such as along the axes or along different paths. Another tip is to use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, to make the evaluation easier. Additionally, it can be helpful to graph the function to visualize its behavior.

4. How do you prove the existence of a multivariable limit?

To prove the existence of a multivariable limit, you must show that the function approaches the same value from all directions as the input values approach a specific point. This can be done by evaluating the function at the point and showing that the values are consistent or by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

5. Why is it important to find and prove multivariable limits?

Finding and proving multivariable limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. This information can be used to determine if a function is continuous, to find the derivatives of multivariable functions, and to solve optimization problems in real-world applications.