Finding Potential Energy of Oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total potential energy at the highest and lowest points of oscillation without considering velocity or time. It is specified that there is no air resistance, only gravity, and that the elastic and gravitational potential energies are already known. The topic also briefly touches upon the use of Wikipedia for calculations and the types of potential energy involved in a spring-mass oscillation.
Curls
How do I find the total potential energy at the highest and lowest points of oscillation without velocity or time?? I do not believe there is any air resistance, only gravity. I also already have the elastic potential energy and the gravitational potential energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Curls said:
How do I find the total potential energy at the highest and lowest points of oscillation without velocity or time?? I do not believe there is any air resistance, only gravity. I also already have the elastic potential energy and the gravitational potential energy.
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about the situation and geometry? A sketch would help, and if you could type in your calculations so far, that would also help us. Is this problem for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about the situation and geometry? A sketch would help, and if you could type in your calculations so far, that would also help us. Is this problem for schoolwork?
This is for my physics school work I just need someone to explain it to me so I can do it myself. We are working on springs with weights on them and I need to know how to find the total Potential energy at the top and bottom of the oscillation. If someone could just provide me with a formula that does not need the velocity or time that would be great. I have many calculations but I do not want to post them because I do not want the answer solved for me and my teacher may see this and consider it cheating.

Curls said:
This is for my physics school work I just need someone to explain it to me so I can do it myself. We are working on springs with weights on them and I need to know how to find the total Potential energy at the top and bottom of the oscillation. If someone could just provide me with a formula that does not need the velocity or time that would be great. I have many calculations but I do not want to post them because I do not want the answer solved for me and my teacher may see this and consider it cheating.
At the top and bottom of the oscillation, the weight stops for a brief moment (Vy = 0). So there is no kinetic energy KE there. You can look at Wikipedia to see the formula for the Gravitational Potential Energy, which does depend on mass. Does that help?

berkeman said:
At the top and bottom of the oscillation, the weight stops for a brief moment (Vy = 0). So there is no kinetic energy KE there. You can look at Wikipedia to see the formula for the Gravitational Potential Energy, which does depend on mass. Does that help?
I have already calculated the PEg would that be considered the same thing as the total potential energy?? We are also not allowed to use Wiki in my school.

Curls said:
I have already calculated the PEg would that be considered the same thing as the total potential energy?
I believe this is true. Without seeing the actual problem statement, it's hard to say for sure.
Curls said:
We are also not allowed to use Wiki in my school.
Shhhh. I won't tell nobody... :wink:

Curls said:

This is rather vague. What form of "potential energy" are you trying to find?

Usually, in a spring-mass oscillation, a student is often asked to find the elastic potential energy of the spring. This value isn't a constant, and varies over the full period of oscillation. So the question is, do you know the expression for this based on the expansion and contraction of the spring from the equilibrium position? If you do, then what are the values at maximum compression and extension (look at the amplitude of oscillation)?

Otherwise, anything more direct than this will require that you present the full question and what you have attempted in the HW forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is rather vague. What form of "potential energy" are you trying to find?

Usually, in a spring-mass oscillation, a student is often asked to find the elastic potential energy of the spring. This value isn't a constant, and varies over the full period of oscillation. So the question is, do you know the expression for this based on the expansion and contraction of the spring from the equilibrium position? If you do, then what are the values at maximum compression and extension (look at the amplitude of oscillation)?

Otherwise, anything more direct than this will require that you present the full question and what you have attempted in the HW forum.

Zz.
It really did not tell me the type I have already calculated the elastic potential and the gravitational potential, and the assignment just said "total potential energy"

Curls said:
It really did not tell me the type I have already calculated the elastic potential and the gravitational potential, and the assignment just said "total potential energy"

Post in the HW forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Post in the HW forum
Agreed.

@Curls -- Please re-post your schoolwork question in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum. Fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided there when starting a new schoolwork thread. That includes the complete Problem Statement that you were provided, the Relevant Equations that apply, and show your full Attempt at the Solution.

This thread in the technical forums is closed.

Related to Finding Potential Energy of Oscillation

1. What is potential energy of oscillation?

Potential energy of oscillation is the energy stored in a system when it is displaced from its equilibrium position. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, as the system oscillates back and forth.

2. How is potential energy of oscillation calculated?

The potential energy of oscillation can be calculated using the equation: PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant of the system, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation assumes that the restoring force of the system is directly proportional to the displacement.

3. What factors affect potential energy of oscillation?

The potential energy of oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the displacement from equilibrium. The higher the mass and the greater the displacement, the more potential energy the system will have. A higher spring constant will also result in a higher potential energy.

4. How does potential energy of oscillation relate to simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the potential energy of oscillation is constantly changing as the object oscillates back and forth. At the equilibrium position, the potential energy is at its minimum, while at the maximum displacement, the potential energy is at its maximum. This relationship is represented by a sinusoidal curve.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential energy of oscillation?

Some examples of potential energy of oscillation include a pendulum, a spring on a pogo stick, and a mass on a spring. These systems all have the ability to store potential energy as they oscillate back and forth.