Finding potential difference in a very long hollow cylinder

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the difference in electric potential between a point on the axis and a point a distance A+D on a long hollow cylinder with inner radius A and outer radius B. The cylinder has a known unit charge per unit volume p. The person in the conversation used Gauss law and integrated from 0 to A+D to find the electric field at a point 'R'. However, the resulting answer of p[A+D]^2/E0 was incorrect. The correct answer was found to be -p/2E0 (4A^2/2 - A^2/2 - A^2ln2). The person asked for clarification on where they went wrong.
aldofbg
A very long hollow cylinder has inner radius A and outer radius B. It has a known unit charge per unit volume p. Find the difference in the electric potential a point on the axis and a point a distance A+D assuming A+D<B
The diagram is in the url. It is #3

http://people.physics.tamu.edu/etanya/P208/exam_2_2014.pdf

I used Gauss law to find the Electric field at a point 'R'. I got pV/E0 then I integrated this from 0 to A+D and I got the answer p[A+D]^2/E0 though this isn't the answer. Could someone explain what I did wrong?
The correct answer is -p/2E0 (4A^2/2 - A^2/2 - A^2ln2)

Physics news on Phys.org
aldofbg said:
I got pV/E0
Please post your working to that point.

Related to Finding potential difference in a very long hollow cylinder

1. What is potential difference and how is it measured?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. How does the length and shape of a hollow cylinder affect potential difference?

The potential difference in a hollow cylinder is affected by its length and shape because it determines the distance between the two points where the potential difference is being measured. A longer cylinder will have a larger potential difference compared to a shorter cylinder, and a cylindrical shape will have a uniform potential difference throughout its length.

3. How can potential difference be calculated in a hollow cylinder?

The potential difference in a hollow cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = k * (Q/R), where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge inside the cylinder, and R is the distance between the two points where the potential difference is being measured.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring potential difference in a hollow cylinder?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring potential difference in a hollow cylinder include the precision of the measuring instruments, the uniformity of the electric field within the cylinder, and external factors such as electromagnetic interference.

5. How can potential difference in a hollow cylinder be applied in real-life situations?

Potential difference in a hollow cylinder has many practical applications, such as in electric circuits, where it is used to power electrical devices. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as electroplating and electrolysis. Additionally, potential difference is an important concept in understanding and analyzing the behavior of electric fields and charges.