Finding potential difference between two points in a ladder circuit

In summary, Kirchhoff's laws and the attempt at a solution are needed to solve this problem. If you assign potentials to junctions starting by setting ##A=0##, current ##i_1## flow through each vertical resistances and ##i_2## through slant resistances. Junctions B has potential ##i_1+2## and there exist a relation ## 1+i_2+i_1=0## between ##i_1## and ##i_2##. I need one more equation. In which loop should I apply KVL.
arutor

Homework Statement

Find the potential difference ##V_A– V_B## for the circuit shown in the figure.
Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

If we assign potentials to junctions starting by setting ##A=0## Current ##i_1## flow through each vertical resistances and ##i_2 ## through slant resistances. B has potential ##i_1+2## and there exist a relation ## 1+i_2+i_1=0## between ##i_1## and ##i_2##. I need one more equation. In which loop should I apply KVL. Is there a better way to approach this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You might try working with some junctions (KCL).

Last edited:
How exactly ? Could you please elaborate ?

Choose A as the reference node. You have two supernodes, one associated with B and the other A (the reference node). Write a node equation for supernode B.

Have I proceeded correctly ?

arutor said:
How exactly ? Could you please elaborate ?
Consider the 4 emf's along the bottom. In terms of ##i_1## and ##i_2##, how much current is in the emf next to point A? Then how much current is in the next emf as you move to the left along the bottom of the circuit. Keep going for all 4 emf's along the bottom. This should get you another relation between the two currents.

Your relation ##1+i_1+i_2 = 0## looks correct for a particular choice of current directions.

I don't know what a supernode is, but gneill's suggestion might get you to the answer quicker.

KCL will surely give you the answer. But you need not consider all the 8 sources.
Replace the vertical 1Ω below point B with a parallel combination of two 2Ω resistors and cut the circuit into two halves at point B such that each 2Ω resistor is on either half. Now, you have two circuits with 4 sources in each. Use the one containing both A and B(i.e. discard the left circuit). It will be easier. This is possible because of the symmetry of the circuit w.r.t. point B.

Last edited:

Related to Finding potential difference between two points in a ladder circuit

1. How is potential difference defined in a ladder circuit?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. In a ladder circuit, it is the difference in electric potential between two points on the ladder, such as between two rungs or between the top of the ladder and the ground.

2. How do you measure potential difference in a ladder circuit?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected across the two points in the ladder circuit where the potential difference needs to be measured. The voltmeter will display the voltage between those two points.

3. What factors affect potential difference in a ladder circuit?

Potential difference in a ladder circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the ladder's components, and the distance between the two points where the potential difference is being measured.

4. How is potential difference related to current in a ladder circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between potential difference and current in a ladder circuit. This means that as potential difference increases, so does the flow of current. Therefore, a higher potential difference will result in a higher current in the circuit.

5. Can potential difference be negative in a ladder circuit?

Yes, potential difference can be negative in a ladder circuit. This occurs when the direction of the current flowing through the circuit is opposite to the direction of the potential difference. In this case, the voltmeter will display a negative value for the potential difference.