Finding Pole-zero pattern of transfer fcn and Stability of LTI system

In summary, the transfer function of the LTI system is H(s) = (s^2 + 2)/(s^3+2s^2+2s+1). The pole-zero pattern of H(s) consists of 2 zeros at √2*i and -√2*i, and 3 poles at -1, (-1+√3*i)/2, and -(1+√3*i)/2. The stability of the system can be determined by taking the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function and evaluating it as t approaches infinity. Alternatively, the poles of the system can be used to determine stability, with any pole in the right half plane indicating instability and any pole on the
aguntuk

Homework Statement

The transfer function of an LTI system H(s) = (s^2 + 2)/(s^3+2s^2+2s+1)
Find the followings

i) pole-zero pattern of H(s)
ii) Stability of the system
iii) Impulse response h(t)

Homework Equations

Zero for which H(s) = 0 & Pole is for which H(s) = ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding Zeros:
Here H(S) =0, if s^2 + 2 =0, so how to find out the solution for s from the equation, I tried for different combination for imaginary values of i.

Finding Poles:
Here H(S) =∞, if s^3+2s^2+2s+1=0

so, s^3+2s^2+2s+1 =(s+1) (s^2+s+1) . Can anyone find me the solution here to find out the poles?

Please help me to find out the zeros & poles so that I can find out the stability of the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
there are 2 zeros,
hint (-2)*(-2)=(2)*(2)

also the zeros will be purely imaginary.

there are 3 poles.
one of them is -1

you should be able to find the other 2

Well, I found the zeros = √2*i & -√2*i
poles = -1, (-1+√3*i)/2 & -(1+√3*i)/2

Now, I am confused with the stability here? What type of stability is this LTI system? Anyone?

take the inverse laplace transform of the transfer function, and evaluate it as t approaches inf. If the expression approaches infinity, then the system is unstable. If the system is purely sinusoidal then it is marginally stable. If not the system is stable.

Now the being said there is a shortcut. The poles of a system determine stability. If any pole is in the right half plane, the system is unstable. If any pole is on the y-axis the system is marginally stable. Else, the system is stable

Likes 1 person

To find the pole-zero pattern of the transfer function H(s), we can rewrite it in its factored form as H(s) = (s+√2i)(s-√2i)/(s+1)(s^2+s+1). This shows that there are two zeros at s = ±√2i and three poles at s = -1, s = (-1±√3i)/2. These zeros and poles can be plotted on the s-plane to visualize the pole-zero pattern of the system.

To determine the stability of the system, we need to analyze the location of the poles. If all the poles lie in the left half of the s-plane, then the system is stable. In this case, we have one pole at s = -1 which lies in the left half of the s-plane, and two complex conjugate poles at s = (-1±√3i)/2 which also lie in the left half of the s-plane. Therefore, the system is stable.

To find the impulse response h(t), we can use the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function H(s). This can be done by using partial fraction decomposition to rewrite H(s) in a form that can be easily inverted. Once we have the inverse Laplace transform, we can use the properties of the impulse function to find the impulse response h(t).

Related to Finding Pole-zero pattern of transfer fcn and Stability of LTI system

1. What is the pole-zero pattern of a transfer function?

The pole-zero pattern of a transfer function is a graphical representation of the locations of the poles and zeros of the function in the complex plane. The poles are the values of the variable that make the denominator of the transfer function equal to zero, while the zeros are the values that make the numerator equal to zero. The pattern can provide valuable insight into the behavior and stability of the system.

2. How do you find the pole-zero pattern of a transfer function?

To find the pole-zero pattern of a transfer function, you can factor the numerator and denominator polynomials and plot the resulting zeros and poles on the complex plane. Alternatively, you can use software tools such as MATLAB to plot the pattern automatically.

3. What is the significance of the pole-zero pattern in determining the stability of an LTI system?

The pole-zero pattern is directly related to the stability of an LTI (Linear Time-Invariant) system. A system is considered stable if all of its poles are located in the left half of the complex plane. If any poles are in the right half of the plane, the system is unstable and can exhibit oscillatory or divergent behavior.

4. Can a system be stable if it has poles in the right half of the complex plane?

No, a system cannot be considered stable if it has poles in the right half of the complex plane. These poles indicate that the system is inherently unstable and will exhibit unpredictable behavior. In order to achieve stability, the poles must be shifted to the left half of the plane through control or feedback.

5. How can the pole-zero pattern be used to improve the stability of an LTI system?

The pole-zero pattern can be used to identify any unstable poles in a system and take corrective action to improve stability. This can include adjusting the system parameters, adding control systems, or implementing feedback loops. Additionally, the pattern can also be used to analyze the effects of external disturbances on the system and make necessary adjustments to maintain stability.