Finding Period and Angular Frequency in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the problem involves finding the period of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. The given equation for its position is x = 4.0 cos (pi t + phi), with an initial position of x0 = 3.0cm at t=0. To find the period, we need to determine the angular frequency, which can be found by taking the difference between two times that give the maximum x value.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

a particle moves to the right along the x-axis with a simple harmonic motion from x0 = 3.0cm in t=0 . if its position x is given by x = 4.0 cos (pi t + phi) , in cms ; find its period T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem ask me more things like the aplitude, phi and others but the amplitude i found was 4.0cm and phi was 41.1 . Now I am stuck because I am asked more things such as the angular frequency and more the equtions for the velocity , acceleration and more but I need T or omega in order to find those. How can I find T?

My guess is that the problem already suggests T but I am starting to learn about harmonic motion so I don't see things clearly for now can anyone give em soem help in order to find T or the angualr frecuency ?

Thanks lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

a particle moves to the right along the x-axis with a simple harmonic motion from x0 = 3.0cm in t=0 . if its position x is given by x = 4.0 cos (pi t + phi) , in cms ; find its period T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem ask me more things like the aplitude, phi and others but the amplitude i found was 4.0cm and phi was 41.1 . Now I am stuck because I am asked more things such as the angular frequency and more the equtions for the velocity , acceleration and more but I need T or omega in order to find those. How can I find T?

My guess is that the problem already suggests T but I am starting to learn about harmonic motion so I don't see things clearly for now can anyone give em soem help in order to find T or the angualr frecuency ?

Thanks lot in advance.

The period refers to the length of time from when something happens, to what it happens the next time.

What value of t gives a maximum x value?
What next value of t will also give the maximum x value?
the difference in those two is the period.

Note we use an extreme value, since the particle undergoing SHM is at each intermediate position twice during a cycle - but traveling in the other direction.

Related to Finding Period and Angular Frequency in Simple Harmonic Motion

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the force acting on the object is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is always directed towards the equilibrium point. This results in a back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium point, similar to a pendulum or a mass-spring system.

What are some examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include a swinging pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a vibrating guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a mass attached to a vertical spring, a child on a swing, and the motion of the Earth around the Sun.

What is the equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation assumes that the amplitude of the motion is small and the force is directly proportional to the displacement.

What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or a stiffer spring will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, resulting in a periodic motion around the equilibrium point. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, may have different forces or may not have a restoring force at all.