Finding Pauli matrices WITHOUT ladder operators

In summary, this solution uses a different approach to find the Pauli matrices, which uses the derivative to find the generators.
Penguin
Does anyone know of an alternative way of calculating the Pauli spin matrices[tex] \mbox{ \sigma_x}[/tex] and [tex] \mbox{ \sigma_y}[/tex] (already knowing [tex] \mbox { \sigma_z} [/tex] and the (anti)-commutation relations), without using ladder operators [tex] \mbox{ \sigma_+}[/tex] and [tex] \mbox{ \sigma_- }[/tex]?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Penguin said:
Does anyone know of an alternative way of calculating the Pauli spin matrices \sigma_x and \sigma_y (already knowing \sigma_z and the (anti)-commutation relations), without using ladder operators \sigma_+ and \sigma_- ?

How about brute force ? Knowing that you need traceless hermitean 2x2 matrices, you put in the unknowns, write out all the equations anti-comm relations ... and solve ?

cheers,
Patrick.

vanesch said:
How about brute force ? Knowing that you need traceless hermitean 2x2 matrices, you put in the unknowns, write out all the equations anti-comm relations ... and solve ?

cheers,
Patrick.

Brute force was my initial plan :shy: problem is: Only using comm and anti-comm I get a whole bunch of possible solutions (like e.g. \sigma_x'=-\sigma_x=(0 & -1 \\ -1 & 0) and \sigma_y'=-sigma_y=(0 & i \\ -i \\ 0) ) also obeying these commutation relations.

I would like to restrict these solutions to the 'traditional' Pauli matrices... Am I forgetting some basic equations somewhere that 'll do just that? :cry:

Any representation is as good as another !
You find one, and make a rotation to go to the one you want.

I give here an alternative way to find the Pauli matrices, which seems natural to me. Any [tex]U(2)[/tex] matrix can be parameterized by :
[tex]
M_{U(2)} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
e^{\imath u}\cos(\theta) & e^{\imath v}\sin(\theta)\\
-e^{\imath w}\sin(\theta) & e^{\imath (w+v-u)}\cos(\theta)
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

and this reduces in the subgroup [tex]SU(2)[/tex] to [tex]w+v=0[/tex] or :

[tex]
M_{SU(2)} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
e^{\imath u}\cos(\theta) & e^{\imath v}\sin(\theta)\\
-e^{-\imath v}\sin(\theta) & e^{-\imath u}\cos(\theta)
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Now as usual to find the generators, one differentiate with respect to each parameters, and takes the values near the identity :

[tex]
\frac{\partial M}{\partial\theta} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
-e^{\imath u}\sin(\theta) & e^{\imath v}\cos(\theta)\\
-e^{-\imath v}\cos(\theta) & -e^{-\imath u}\sin(\theta)
\end{array}
\right)_{\theta=0,u=0,v=0}
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1\\
-1& 0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial M}{\partial u} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\imath e^{\imath u}\cos(\theta) & 0\\
0 & -\imath e^{-\imath u}\cos(\theta)
\end{array}
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\imath & 0\\
0& -\imath
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\partial M}{\partial w} = \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & \imath e^{\imath v}\sin(\theta)\\
\imath e^{-\imath v}\sin(\theta) & 0
\end{array}
=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1\\
1& 0
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

But these are not the Pauli matrices, they differ by a factor [tex]-\imath[/tex]. This is exactly what is done : the Pauli matrices define an arbitrary [tex]SU(2)[/tex] matrix by :
[tex]
M_{SU(2)} =e^{\imath \vec{L}\cdot\vec{\sigma}\alpha/2}=\sigma_0\cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})
-\imath \vec{L}\cdot\vec{\sigma}\sin(\frac{\alpha}{2})
[/tex] with [tex]\sigma_0[/tex] the identity, [tex]\vec{L}[/tex] a unitary vector directing the rotation axis, and [tex]\alpha[/tex] the rotation angle. By differentiating this near the identity, one recovers the correct [tex]-\imath[/tex] factor w.r.t. the previously calculated matrices.

Related to Finding Pauli matrices WITHOUT ladder operators

1. How can Pauli matrices be found without using ladder operators?

Pauli matrices can be found by using the relationship between spin angular momentum and the spin matrices. Specifically, the Pauli matrices can be constructed by taking the outer product of the spin matrices for a given spin state.

2. What is the significance of finding Pauli matrices without ladder operators?

Finding Pauli matrices without ladder operators allows for a more direct and intuitive understanding of the physical properties of spin states. It also avoids the use of abstract mathematical operators, making it easier to apply the matrices in practical applications.

3. Are there any limitations to finding Pauli matrices without ladder operators?

Yes, this method is only applicable to spin-1/2 systems, as the Pauli matrices are specifically defined for these systems. Additionally, the method may not be as efficient for more complex spin states.

4. Can this method be applied to other types of matrices besides Pauli matrices?

Yes, the concept of using outer products to construct matrices can be applied to other types of matrices. However, the specific relationship between spin states and the Pauli matrices may not apply.

5. How does finding Pauli matrices without ladder operators relate to quantum mechanics?

The Pauli matrices are an important tool in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of spin states. Finding them without the use of ladder operators allows for a more intuitive understanding of their relationship to spin states and their applications in quantum mechanics.