How to Suspend an Egg in a Diamond Cage Using Limited Materials?

In summary, the success of an egg drop project depends on the design of the container and the materials used. A container with a larger surface area and shock-absorbing materials, such as bubble wrap or cotton, can distribute the force of impact and reduce the chances of the egg breaking. Lightweight, yet strong and shock-absorbing materials, such as cardboard, bubble wrap, cotton, and foam, are ideal for the project. The height of the drop also plays a crucial role, with higher drops resulting in greater force of impact on the egg. It is recommended to have multiple layers of protection for the egg, as each layer can add an extra level of shock absorption. Ultimately, the most important factor for a successful egg drop project is
steve7387
Hey i really need some help on this one. I am working on a physics project. It is the old "egg drop project." I need some help and advice. How do you recommend suspending the egg and keeping it safe while in a diamond shaped cage. The only catch is you can only use 40 straws, 10 rubber bands, 8 paperclips, and 2 meters of scotch tape. I have used 18 of my 40 straws. I need help desparately! Please be swift in your replies. Someone save me PLEASE!

From needs help badly

Physics news on Phys.org
how about posting this in the homework help section

Nautica

1. How does the design of the container affect the success of the egg drop?

The design of the container is crucial in protecting the egg from breaking upon impact. A container with a larger surface area and shock-absorbing materials, such as bubble wrap or cotton, can distribute the force of impact and reduce the chances of the egg breaking.

2. What are the best materials to use in the egg drop project?

Materials that are lightweight, yet strong and shock-absorbing, are ideal for the egg drop project. Some commonly used materials include cardboard, bubble wrap, cotton, and foam. It is also important to consider the shape and size of the materials to ensure a secure and snug fit for the egg.

3. How does the height of the drop affect the outcome of the egg drop project?

The height of the drop can greatly impact the success of the egg drop project. The higher the drop, the greater the force of impact on the egg. It is important to consider the materials used and the design of the container when determining the appropriate height for the project.

4. Is it better to have a single container or multiple layers of protection for the egg?

While a single container may seem easier to design and construct, multiple layers of protection can greatly increase the chances of the egg surviving the drop. Each layer can add an extra level of shock absorption and protection for the egg.

5. What is the most important factor in a successful egg drop project?

The most important factor in a successful egg drop project is the proper balance between the design of the container and the materials used. It is crucial to have a well-designed container that can withstand the force of impact, while also choosing materials that can absorb shock and protect the egg.