Finding Optimal Thickness for 50 MPa Pressure Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations for finding the minimum thickness of a welded joint in a pressure vessel under a certain hoop stress. The initial attempt uses the hoop stress equation, but the correct answer uses the longitudinal stress equation. The reason for this is that the weld is part of both the cylinder and the hemisphere, and the longitudinal stress governs for the weld size. The pictures provided were also mentioned as being too wide.
Precursor
Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7747/43416215.jpg

The attempt at a solution

I have already solved parts (a) and (b). It's part (c) that I can't get.

To get a minimum thickness at 50 MPa, I thought that the hoop stress equation would govern. Here is my calculation for it:

[tex]\sigma = \frac{Pr}{t}[/tex]

Solving for t, I get:

[tex]t = \frac{Pr}{\sigma}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{(1200*10^{3} Pa)(0.5m)}{50*10^{6} MPa}[/tex]

[tex]t = 0.012 m[/tex]

[tex]t = 12 mm[/tex]

However, this is not the answer. The answer takes the longitudinal stress equation as the governing one. Therefore, the solution is half of mine, a thickness of 6 mm.

Why is this so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But you are assuming that the weld is part of the hemisphere. I believe that it is part of both the cylinder and the hemisphere. If it was only part of the hemisphere, the solution wouldn't have stated that the longitudinal stress governed.

The cylinder longitudinal force is the tensile force across the weld.

But why would the longitudinal stress govern if the hoop stress results in a greater thickness?

Precursor: The cylinder hoop stress does not travel across the welded joint, whereas the cylinder longitudinal stress does. The longitudinal stress governs only for the weld size here. By the way, your pictures are too wide. Please see post https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2937012".

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding Optimal Thickness for 50 MPa Pressure Vessel

1. What is the purpose of finding the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel?

The purpose of finding the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel is to ensure that the vessel is strong enough to withstand the high pressure it will be subjected to without failing or breaking. This is important for the safety and reliability of the vessel.

2. How is the optimal thickness determined for a 50 MPa pressure vessel?

The optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel is determined through a combination of calculations and testing. Engineers use mathematical equations and simulations to determine the thickness needed to withstand the pressure, and then physical tests are conducted to verify the results.

3. What factors are taken into consideration when determining the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel?

Several factors are taken into consideration when determining the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel. These include the material properties, the design and geometry of the vessel, the expected pressure and temperature, and any potential stress or strain on the vessel during operation.

4. Why is it important to find the optimal thickness rather than just using a thicker material for a 50 MPa pressure vessel?

Finding the optimal thickness is important because using a thicker material than necessary can add unnecessary weight and cost to the vessel. It can also affect the performance of the vessel and potentially lead to other issues such as increased stress and strain on the vessel's components.

5. Can the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel change over time?

Yes, the optimal thickness for a 50 MPa pressure vessel can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in operating conditions, and new advancements in materials and design. It is important to regularly review and update the optimal thickness to ensure the continued safety and efficiency of the vessel.