Finding # of Sides in Polygon Given Measure of Interior Angle

In summary, to find the number of sides in a regular polygon when given the measure of an interior angle, one can use the formula 360/n where n is the number of sides, or draw n-3 diagonals to divide the polygon into n-2 triangles and set the angle sum to 180(n-2). It is important to remember that the exterior angles of a regular polygon also have the same measure as the interior angles.
dustie

Homework Statement

the measure of an interior angle of a regular polygon is given. need to find the number of sides in the polygon. i cannot find the formula to be able to do this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
On any polygon, the measure of the exterior angles always adds up to 360 degrees and they are supplementary to the interior angles. Because the interior angles in a regular polygon are going to have the same measure, the exterior angles will as well, so the exterior angles will have the measure 360/n where n is the number of sides. See if you can use that to get started.

Another way to do this is to draw a line from one vertex to every other vertex. The sides of polygon alredy connect that vertex to the vertex on either side so you draw n-3 "diagonals" and that divides the polygon into n-2 triangles. Since every triangle has angle sum 180 degrees, the n-1 triangles and so the total angles in the polygon have angle sum 180(n-2). Since there are n interior angles, what is the measure of each angle in a regular n-gon? Set that equal to the angle you are given and solve for n.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is n-3 "diagonals" and n-2 triangles. A square (n=4) has 1 diagonal (n-3) and 2 triangles (n-2).

Right. Thanks. I wrote too fast. I will edit what I wrote.

Related to Finding # of Sides in Polygon Given Measure of Interior Angle

1. How do you find the number of sides in a polygon given the measure of the interior angle?

To find the number of sides in a polygon given the measure of the interior angle, you can use the formula n = 360/α, where n is the number of sides and α is the measure of the interior angle. This formula works for regular polygons.

2. What is a regular polygon?

A regular polygon is a two-dimensional shape with equal sides and equal angles. Examples include equilateral triangles, squares, and regular pentagons.

3. Can this formula be used for irregular polygons?

No, this formula only works for regular polygons. For irregular polygons, the number of sides cannot be determined solely based on the measure of the interior angle.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in the number of sides into the formula and making sure the resulting measure of the interior angle matches the given value.

5. Is there another way to find the number of sides in a polygon given the measure of the interior angle?

Yes, you can also use the formula n = (180(n-2))/α, where n is the number of sides and α is the measure of the interior angle. This formula works for both regular and irregular polygons.