Finding Object Distance for Upright Image with Magnification +1.51 for Concave Mirror

In summary, the object distance that gives an upright image with a magnification of +1.51 is .02506 meters.
longcatislong

Homework Statement

Suppose the radius of curvature of a concave mirror is 5.0 cm
a) Find the object distance that gives an upright image with a magnification of +1.51.

Homework Equations

1/Do + 1/Di= 1/f

m=-di/do=hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution

First i convered all cm into m.

f=R/2, so .05/2 = .025.
1/.025=40

then I used m=-Di/Do. Since don't know Do or Di, I substituted for the unknowns using 1/Do + 1/Di= 1/f

I came up with...
m=-[40-(1/Do)]/[40-1/(40-1/Do)] and solved for Do.

I got Do=.02506m.

Online HW says it's wrong.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. What I did makes sense to me but obviously there's an error or just some major concept I don't understand. Thank you so much for taking the time!

Physics news on Phys.org
longcatislong said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the radius of curvature of a concave mirror is 5.0 cm
a) Find the object distance that gives an upright image with a magnification of +1.51.

Homework Equations

1/Do + 1/Di= 1/f

m=-di/do=hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution

First i convered all cm into m.

f=R/2, so .05/2 = .025.
Okay, everything seems right so far. :approve:
1/.025=40
I'm not sure why you would want to invert that at this point in the process, but okay.
then I used m=-Di/Do. Since don't know Do or Di, I substituted for the unknowns using 1/Do + 1/Di= 1/f
Substitution is the right idea. :approve:
I came up with...
m=-[40-(1/Do)]/[40-1/(40-1/Do)] and solved for Do.
Now you've lost me. :rolleyes:

So far, you've already figured out
[tex] \frac{1}{D_o} + \frac{1}{D_i} = \frac{1}{f} [/tex]
and
[tex] m = -\frac{D_i}{D_o}. [/tex]
Rather than going the other way around, try substituting [itex] D_i = -mD_0 [/itex] into the first equation. Also substitute [itex] f = R/2 [/itex] into the first equation. It might make it a little easier to solve for [itex] D_o [/itex] that way. (Hint: then find a common denominator for the left side of the equation :wink:)

Oh god that's SO much simpler than what I was trying to do. Thanks a million!

Glad it worked out. By the way, I find it easier to work in cm rather than meters for this problem. For example, "1/2.5" is easier (for me) to work with than "1/0.025". In the end you get the same answer, of course.

Your solution seems to be on the right track. It is possible that there is a small calculation error in your final answer. You may want to double check your calculations and try rounding to a different number of significant figures to see if that helps. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct sign convention for the magnification (positive for upright images). If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and check each step individually. It is also a good idea to ask a classmate or your instructor for help if you are still stuck. Keep up the good work!

Related to Finding Object Distance for Upright Image with Magnification +1.51 for Concave Mirror

1. What is the formula for finding the object distance for an upright image with magnification +1.51 for a concave mirror?

The formula for finding the object distance for an upright image with magnification +1.51 for a concave mirror is:
do = di/(m-1)

2. What do the variables in the formula stand for?

The variable do stands for the object distance, which is the distance between the object and the mirror. The variable di stands for the image distance, which is the distance between the mirror and the image. And the variable m stands for the magnification, which is the ratio of the image height to the object height.

3. How do you determine the sign of the object distance in this formula?

The sign of the object distance can be determined by the location of the object in relation to the mirror. If the object is in front of the mirror, the object distance will be positive. If the object is behind the mirror, the object distance will be negative.

4. Can the object distance be zero in this formula?

No, the object distance cannot be zero in this formula. This is because if the object distance is zero, the formula would result in a division by zero, which is undefined. In order for the formula to be valid, the object distance must be a non-zero value.

5. How is the image formed in a concave mirror with a magnification of +1.51?

In a concave mirror, the image is formed when the reflected light rays converge at a point in front of the mirror. With a magnification of +1.51, the image will be larger than the object and will be upright.