Finding Normal Reaction between Wedge and Block

In summary: Differentiating w.r.t time, it has an acceleration ay along y-axis. For the block to be in contact with the wedge, ##a_y=asin\alpha##When the system is released from rest, calculate the force exerted by block on the wedge.In summary, when released from rest, the block exerts a force on the wedge of mgcosα.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is kept on a smooth wedge of angle α and mass M which is in turn kept on a smooth floor.
When the system is released from rest, calculate the force exerted by block on the wedge.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Untitled.png

Let the block a have a velocity vx and vy along x and y-axis with respect to earth. Differentiating w.r.t time, it has an acceleration ay along y-axis. For the block to be in contact with the wedge, ##a_y=asin\alpha##
Let ##N## be the normal reaction Force between wedge and block..
From F.B.D of wedge, ##Nsin\alpha=Ma## , so ##N=Macosec\alpha##
From F.B.D of block, ##mgcos\alpha-N=ma_y## and ##mgsin\alpha=ma_x##
hence, ##mgcos\alpha-N=masin\alpha## and ##a=\frac{mgcos\alpha}{msin\alpha+Mcosec\alpha}##
Therefore, $$N=\frac{mgcos\alpha}{\frac{m}{M}sin^2\alpha+1}$$
Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some standard things you should automatically do to check yourself on a problem like this: (1) check the units, and (2) check the dependence on the variables. Do you know how to do these two things, and have you done them? In more detail, I would suggest that in #2 you check the two special cases ##\alpha=0## and ##\alpha=90## degrees.

By the way, "normal reaction force" is presumably terminology that you picked up from your text or your teacher, but IMO it's bad terminology. There is no such thing as a reaction force. Newton's 3rd law is symmetric, and neither force plays the role of action or reaction. Also, there's a common misconception that normal forces are somehow specially linked to the 3rd law or are always reaction forces. Newton's third law applies to all types of forces in mechanics, not just normal forces.

Likes gracy and Titan97
Yes. At α=0, N=mg which is correct.

Units? alpha=90?

Likes Titan97
At α=90°, N=0. Yes. The dimension of the final answer is correct.

Looks right to me. Another interesting special case to check is the one in which ##M\rightarrow\infty##.

Likes gracy and Titan97
At M→∞, N→mgcosα?
If the wedge is infinitely heavy, It wouldn't move (right?).
But why is N=mgcosα?

Post edited : Found my mistake . Your calculations look correct .

Actual question is to check if N is greater than or less than mgcosα. The answer given and the answer i got is same.
Titan97 said:
N=##\frac{mgcos\alpha}{\frac{m}{M}sin^2\alpha+1}##
The above value is clearly less than ##mgcos\alpha##
I think there is no problem in my answer. What did you get?

Titan97 said:
At M→∞, N→mgcosα?
If the wedge is infinitely heavy, It wouldn't move (right?).
But why is N=mgcosα?

I think that's what you get if you solve the problem with the wedge held immobile (so that ##a_y=0##).

Titan97 said:
For the block to be in contact with the wedge, ay=asinαa_y=asin\alpha
This means that as alpha approaches 90o, ay approaches a.
But, shouldn't it approach g?

Edit: I see the confusion. Usually "with respect to the earth" means y is vertical and x is horizontal.

Last edited:
Titan97 said:
Let the block a have a velocity vx and vy along x and y-axis with respect to earth.
Oh, do you mean "with respect to the top of the wedge" (as drawn)?

Edit, delete.

insightful said:
Oh, do you mean "with respect to the top of the wedge" (as drawn)?
I fixed the x-axis as the surface of the wedge. At that instant, vx,vy are the block's velocity components w.r.t earth.

Related to Finding Normal Reaction between Wedge and Block

1. What is normal reaction between wedge and block?

The normal reaction between a wedge and a block is the force exerted by the wedge on the block perpendicular to the surface of contact between them. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the block on the wedge.

2. How is normal reaction calculated?

The normal reaction between a wedge and a block can be calculated by using the formula R = mg cosθ, where R is the normal reaction, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of inclination of the wedge.

3. What factors affect the normal reaction between a wedge and a block?

The normal reaction between a wedge and a block is affected by several factors such as the mass of the block, the angle of inclination of the wedge, the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, and the force of gravity.

4. Why is the normal reaction important in wedge and block problems?

The normal reaction is important in wedge and block problems because it helps to determine the stability and equilibrium of the system. It also affects the motion of the block on the wedge and is essential for calculating other forces acting on the system.

5. How can the normal reaction be increased?

The normal reaction between a wedge and a block can be increased by increasing the mass of the block, decreasing the angle of inclination of the wedge, increasing the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, or increasing the force of gravity acting on the system.