Finding normal and tangential acceleration

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the tangential and normal components of acceleration at a given point on a curve where the vertical component of velocity is always 3. The solution involves using the equations for tangential and normal acceleration and solving for the horizontal component of velocity, then substituting the given point into the formulas to find the velocity and acceleration at that point.
Inveritatem

Homework Statement

A point moves along the curve y = x3 + x such that the vertical component of velocity is always 3. Find the tangential and normal components of acceleration at the point P(2,10).

Homework Equations

Tangential Acceleration - aT(t) = v(t) ⋅ a(t)/ magnitude of velocity vector
Normal Acceleration - aN(t) = magnitude of (v(t) × a(t)) / magnitude of (v(t))

The Attempt at a Solution

The fact that they gave the VERTICAL component of constant velocity is really throwing me off. In class we have done some similar procedure but the HORIZONTAL component of velocity being given instead.

So if I get f(t) as the parametic equation for x and g(t) for the parametric equation for y, I thought I would have to get x in terms of y (ƒ(t) in terms of g(t)), so I would have to get the inverse of this function. But this requires something called Cavadro's Method and results in weird values I don't understand.

So I thought maybe I would keep the x and y values in terms of f(t). However, that results in some very weird x component values for the velocity and acceleration vectors for the cross product such as -2/9*cuberoot(3/t^5) - 3, so I feel like this is a mistake.

Anyone have any insights into this problem I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please move this to the physics homework forum? I think it wouldve been more appropriate for me to post over there.

You know that ##y=3t+C## so the vertical component of acceleration is always zero, hence you only need to calculate the horizontal component.

Start with the equation ##3t+C=x^3+x##. Differentiate both sides with respect to ##t##, then re-arrange to get a formula for ##\frac{dx}{dt}## in terms of ##x##. Then differentiate that wrt ##t## to get a formula for ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## in terms of ##x##. Then substitute ##x=2## into those two formulas to find the velocity and acceleration at the point (2,10).

Last edited:
Likes Inveritatem
andrewkirk said:
You know that ##y=3t+C## so the vertical component of acceleration is always zero, hence you only need to calculate the horizontal component.

Start with the equation ##3t+C=x^3+x##. Differentiate both sides with respect to ##t##, then re-arrange to get a formula for ##\frac{dx}{dt}## in terms of ##x##. Then differentiate that wrt ##t## to get a formula for ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## in terms of ##x##. Then substitute ##x=2## into those two formulas to find the velocity and acceleration at the point (2,10).
Thank you so much! I didn't get what you were saying at first but your edit made it very clear. Thank you!

Related to Finding normal and tangential acceleration

What is normal acceleration?

Normal acceleration, also known as centripetal acceleration, is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the object's velocity.

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path in the direction of its velocity. It is always tangent to the circle and changes the magnitude of the object's velocity.

How is normal acceleration calculated?

Normal acceleration can be calculated using the formula an = v2/r, where an is the normal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = d|v|/dt, where at is the tangential acceleration, d|v| is the change in magnitude of velocity, and dt is the change in time.

What is the relationship between normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal and tangential acceleration are perpendicular to each other and together make up the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. They are dependent on each other and change in magnitude and direction as the object moves along the circular path.