Finding net force on charges on xy plane

In summary: she's probably using a different equation for force. sorry if that's what you're getting confused about.
gnarkil

Homework Statement

A proton is on the x-axis at x = 1.2 nm. An electron is on the y-axis at y = 1.2 nm.
Find the net force the two exert on a helium nucleus (charge +2e) at the origin.
Express your answer using two significant figures. Enter your answers numerically separated by a comma, such that " Fx, Fy = ...,..."

Homework Equations

electron charge, e = -1.6*10^-19 coulombs
proton charge, + e = + 1.6*10^-19 coulombs
distance, r = 1.2 nm = 1.2*10^-9 m
constant, k = 9*10^9

force in Newtons, F = kq_1q_2/r^2 where q_1 and q_2 represent point charge

The Attempt at a Solution

charge at origin = +2e = 3.2*10^-19 coulombs

Fy = force y-axis = electron and origin charge = [(9*10^9)(-1.6*10^-19)(3.2*10^-19)]/(1.2*10^-9)2 = - 3.2*10^-10 Newtons

Fx = force y-axis = proton and origin charge = [(9*10^9)(+1.6*10^-19)(3.2*10^-19)]/(1.2*10^-9)2 = - 3.2*10^-10 Newtons

Fnet = sqrt(Fy^2 + Fx^2) = sqrt(2.048*10^-19) = 4.5255*10^-10 Newtons

i entered these and they were wrong:

Fx, Fy = 4.53*10^-10, -4.53*10^-10
Fx, Fy = 3.2*10^-10, -3.2*10^-10

are my calculations correct? what should i enter?

Physics news on Phys.org
yea, i solved that problem the same way. the problem is in the book, and using that same equation for Fx, Fy i got the same answer as the solution in the book. but when i did the problem on mp (my numbers were different) the answer was wrong - and i solved it the SAME way. aghhh I am sooo lost. i don't know why its wrong =/

i originally had the signs wrong, Fx is actually -3.2*10^-10, my Fy is wrong, it is a positive value though. why is it wrong, i thought the two forces would be equal in magnitude.

it says my Fy value is "you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." it is currently Fy = 3.2*10^-10

could someone please help me for Fy

i would have thought it would have been the same in your problem, just opposite signs, since your distances are the same. mine are different for the x-axis and y-axis, so i don't know - my answer's not even right =( I am finishing up mp tomorrow afternoon though - kinda late - but I am sure i'll get the rest of it by then, if ur still working on it

i tried to run the calculations again and i am still getting 3.2*10^-10, is there any reason why the forces should have different magnitudes? it doesn't seem to make sense

ok, i tried my answer and it keeps coming out wrong - i don't think i messed up on any of my calculations...
i had 1.7 nm distance on the x-axis for the proton, and 1.3 nm distance on the y-axis for the electron. everything else is the same.
my equations were:

Fx= -k (e)(2e)/(1.7*10-9)2 = -(9*109)(1.6*10-19)(3.2*10-19)/(2.89*10-18) = -(4.608*10-28)/(2.89*10-18) = -1.594*10-10 N

Fx= k (e)(2e)/(1.3*10-9)2 = (9*109)(1.6*10-19)(3.2*10-19)/(1.69*10-18) = (4.608*10-28)/(1.69*10-18) = 2.726*10-10 N

i solved the problem in the book the same way, with their numbers and it was right... but i don't know what i did wrong here...? mp marked my answers wrong with no suggestions or anything - so its like they're completely off. any idea why?

Last edited:
i think your answer is right - MP had the wong answers. she's making it a practice problem now so we don't lose points.

Related to Finding net force on charges on xy plane

What is the formula for finding the net force on charges on the xy plane?

The formula for finding the net force on charges on the xy plane is F = q * E, where F is the net force in Newtons, q is the charge in Coulombs, and E is the electric field in Newtons/Coulomb.

How do you calculate the electric field on the xy plane?

The electric field on the xy plane can be calculated by dividing the net force by the charge. So, E = F/q.

What is the direction of the net force on charges on the xy plane?

The direction of the net force on charges on the xy plane depends on the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is positive, the force will be in the same direction as the field. If the electric field is negative, the force will be in the opposite direction.

Can the net force on charges on the xy plane be negative?

Yes, the net force on charges on the xy plane can be negative. This would occur if the electric field is negative and the charge is positive, or if the electric field is positive and the charge is negative.

How does the distance between charges affect the net force on the xy plane?

The distance between charges does not directly affect the net force on the xy plane. However, the electric field will decrease as the distance between charges increases, which will then affect the net force since it is dependent on the electric field. In other words, the net force will decrease as the distance between charges increases.