Finding Moment of Interia of a 'Loop' when given Density & Cross sectional area

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the maximum angular acceleration of a loop in a magnetic field, but is missing the moment of inertia. They are having trouble finding an equation to calculate the volume of the loop and are considering using integration. However, it is suggested to treat the loop as a cylinder and use the formula for volume of a cylinder. The student also needs to find the mass of the loop in order to use the formula I=MR^2.
anr91

Homework Statement

I eventually have to solve for maximum angular acceleration of the loop in a magnetic field, and I have gotten everything with the exception of the moment of inertia, so I won't include the emf and B known variables.
Known: a copper wire with a density of [itex]\rho[/itex] = 8960 kg/m3 is formed into a circular loop of radius 0.50 m. Cross sectional area of the wire is 1.00 x 10-5m2.

Homework Equations

I=MR2
(and eventually) [itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]I

The Attempt at a Solution

I know since mass isn't given, I need to integrate something so I can use the density. However, it's been a really long time since I've integrated, so I'm not very familar with it. I've been unable to find an equation to find the volume of the 'loop,' so I know integration is the only way.

Physics news on Phys.org

No integration required. A loop is just a cylinder bent into a circle. Imagine bending the loop back into a "normal" cylinder, and find the volume of that object. (If you don't remember the formula for the volume if a cylinder, it is easy to find).

You can approximate the loop as a circle (line) because the cross section is much smaller than the radius.

Yes, I forgot to add that part. But first, OP needs to find the mass, which requires finding the volume.

Once that is done you would forget about the finite width and simply use I = MR2

I would suggest using the formula for moment of inertia of a circular hoop, which is I = MR^2. In this case, the mass (M) can be calculated by multiplying the density (\rho) by the volume of the loop. The volume of the loop can be found by multiplying the cross sectional area (A) by the circumference of the loop (2\pi R). Therefore, the equation for moment of inertia in this case would be I = \rho A (2\pi R)^2. This can then be used to solve for the maximum angular acceleration using the equation \tau = \alpha I. I hope this helps in your calculations.

Related to Finding Moment of Interia of a 'Loop' when given Density & Cross sectional area

1. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a loop?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a loop, you first need to find the area of the loop's cross section. Then, you need to know the density of the material the loop is made of. Finally, you can use the formula I = (1/2)mR^2, where m is the mass of the loop and R is the radius of the loop, to calculate the moment of inertia.

2. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in a loop?

The moment of inertia is a measure of how resistant an object is to changes in its rotational motion. In a loop, it is important to know the moment of inertia in order to understand how the loop will behave when subjected to external forces or changes in its rotation.

3. How does the density of the loop affect its moment of inertia?

The density of the loop affects its moment of inertia because it is a factor in the calculation of the loop's mass. A higher density means a higher mass, which in turn affects the moment of inertia. This is why it is important to know the density of the loop when calculating its moment of inertia.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a loop be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the resistance to changes in rotational motion, so it must always be a positive value.

5. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia depends on the units used to measure mass and distance in the calculation. In the SI system, the unit for moment of inertia is kg*m^2.