Finding Memory System Latency: Interleaving Effects

In summary, finding the latency of a memory system when given the bandwidth, precharge time, and transfer size depends on the architecture of the memory. A serially architected memory will have a longer latency but higher bandwidth, while a random access memory will have a shorter latency. There is no general relation and different types of memory have different formulas for calculating latency. For example, the formula for hard drive latency is not applicable to system memory. Additional resources, such as Wikipedia articles on DDR3 SDRAM and SDRAM latency, may provide more specific information on calculating memory latency.
Knowledge92
I've been searching for some type of equation or explanation of how to find the latency (access time) of a memory system when given the bandwidth, the precharge (refreshing) time between accesses, and how many bytes of data are being transferred...

Also I am not sure as to how memory interleaving would change this latency...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Technology news on Phys.org

It depends on the architecture of the memory, so I don't think there is a general relation. A serially architected memory can have a very long latency, but then a very high bandwidth once you've arrived at the correct location, while a random access memory will have a much smaller latency.

Thanks for that information, but maybe it'd help if I just posted my homework question:

Assume a memory system has a bandwidth of 120 MBytes (M = 2^20) per second and has aprecharge (refreshing) of 5 ns between accesses. What is the memory systems latency (access time) for the following two cases?

a. Two bytes of data are transferred and memory interleaving is not used.

b. 4-way memory interleaving is used and each module is able to transfer two bytes per access.

I am unsure how to start this. I found a computer engineering equation that latency = seek time + rotational delay + transfer time + controller delay, but I have no idea how to apply this general form of a latency equation (or if I am supposed to use this equation at all) to this type of problem.

Thank you very much!

Knowledge92 said:
latency = seek time + rotational delay + transfer time + controller delay
This is a formula used for hard drives, not system memory.

rcgldr said:
This is a formula used for hard drives, not system memory.

OK.. is there a formula for the latency of system memory/what is it?

Related to Finding Memory System Latency: Interleaving Effects

1. What is memory system latency?

Memory system latency refers to the time it takes for data to be retrieved from the computer's memory. It is measured in nanoseconds (ns) and is influenced by several factors such as the type of memory used, the speed of the memory, and the way it is accessed.

2. What are interleaving effects in regards to memory system latency?

Interleaving effects refer to the impact of interleaving or arranging memory modules in a particular order to improve memory system performance. This technique involves splitting the data into smaller chunks and storing them in different memory modules, which allows for faster retrieval of data.

3. How does interleaving affect memory system latency?

Interleaving can reduce memory system latency by allowing the computer to retrieve data from multiple memory modules simultaneously, instead of waiting for one module to finish before accessing the next. This can significantly improve overall system performance, especially when dealing with large amounts of data.

4. Can interleaving be used with all types of memory?

No, interleaving is mainly used with dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) as it allows for better utilization of the memory modules. It is not commonly used with static random-access memory (SRAM) due to its faster access speeds.

5. Is interleaving the only way to reduce memory system latency?

No, interleaving is just one of the techniques used to improve memory system latency. Other methods include increasing the speed of the memory modules, using cache memory, and optimizing the software and hardware components of the computer system.