Finding mechanical energy lost

In summary, a 6.0kg concrete block is dropped from the top of a tall building. It has fallen a distance of 55 meters and has a speed of 30 meters per second when it hits the ground. At the instant the block was released, the gravitational potential energy with respect to the ground was 323 Joules. The block had a kinetic energy of 2700 Joules when it hit the ground. The block lost a total of 3230 Joules of mechanical energy due to friction of the air.
zelda1850

Homework Statement

a 6.0kg concrete block is dropped from the top of a tall building. the block has fallen a distance of 55 meters and has a speed of 30 meters per srcond when it hits the ground

1) at the instant the block was released what was the gravitational potenetial energy with respect to the ground?

2)calculate the kinetic energy of the block at the point of impact?

3) how much mechanical energy was lost by the block as it fell?

4) explain what happened to the mechanical energy that was lost by the block?

Homework Equations

1) pe = mgh so 6kg x 9.81m/s2 x 55m = 323 j

2) ke = 1/2mv2 so 6kg x 30m/s2 divided by 2 = 2700 j

3) how can i find the energy lost do i subtract the kinectic with the potential

4) how can i explain how the energy was lost was it because it was falling?

The Attempt at a Solution

is their a forumla to finding mechanical energy lost?

Physics news on Phys.org
zelda1850 said:

Homework Statement

a 6.0kg concrete block is dropped from the top of a tall building. the block has fallen a distance of 55 meters and has a speed of 30 meters per srcond when it hits the ground

1) at the instant the block was released what was the gravitational potenetial energy with respect to the ground?

2)calculate the kinetic energy of the block at the point of impact?

3) how much mechanical energy was lost by the block as it fell?

4) explain what happened to the mechanical energy that was lost by the block?

Homework Equations

1) pe = mgh so 6kg x 9.81m/s2 x 55m = 323 j

2) ke = 1/2mv2 so 6kg x 30m/s2 divided by 2 = 2700 j

3) how can i find the energy lost do i subtract the kinectic with the potential

4) how can i explain how the energy was lost was it because it was falling?

The Attempt at a Solution

is their a forumla to finding mechanical energy lost?

First off, for part 1.) you lost a zero. The answer is 3.23 KJ = 3230 J. You should have spotted this due to the unrealistic nature of an object gaining more kinetic energy than was available in potential energy. Second, for part 3, you have it reversed. The total energy available at t = 0 is the potential energy. By the time it hits the ground, all potential energy is gone. Some of it is kinetic and some of it is that sought after mechanical loss. I'd explain the losses with friction of the air -- also known as wind resistance.

so the mechanical energy was lost due to friction of the air?

Related to Finding mechanical energy lost

What is mechanical energy and how is it lost?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be lost through various processes such as friction, air resistance, and collisions.

Why is it important to find and understand the mechanical energy lost?

Understanding the amount of mechanical energy lost can help in determining the efficiency of a system or machine. It can also help in identifying areas for improvement and reducing energy waste.

How can mechanical energy lost be calculated?

Mechanical energy lost can be calculated by subtracting the final mechanical energy from the initial mechanical energy. This can be done using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the mechanical energy, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the object.

What are some common sources of mechanical energy loss?

Some common sources of mechanical energy loss include friction between moving parts, air resistance, and heat transfer through conduction or radiation. Other factors such as misalignment, wear and tear, and inefficient design can also contribute to mechanical energy loss.

How can mechanical energy loss be minimized?

To minimize mechanical energy loss, measures can be taken such as lubricating moving parts, using streamlined designs to reduce air resistance, and implementing efficient energy conversion systems. Regular maintenance and repairs can also help in reducing energy loss due to wear and tear.