Finding Max Range With 2 Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the best angles to use when trying to achieve maximum horizontal distance while on an elevated surface of 50m. The equation dR/d∅ = V2/g [cos∅ (cos∅ + (sin∅ * cos∅) / √sin∅2 + C ) - sin∅(sin∅ + √sin∅ + C)) is suggested as a possible solution, but it is found to be incorrect. Instead, it is suggested to use the equation v T cos(θ) for the distance traveled and to find the time spent in the air using v sin(θ) -g t = 0. It is also mentioned that the maximum horizontal distance
Grunstadt

Homework Statement

Today my teacher asked me "What are the best 2 angles to use when wanting to get maximum horizontal distance while on an elevated surface of 50m."

As in Dx. What would these 2 angles have to be for the projectile to go the furthest distance horizontally and what would the angles have to be for the projectile to have the highest vertical height.

How could I figure out what the 2 angles are? Is there a certain formula you would use and just plug it in?

What would X and Y have to be.

http://i.imgur.com/YLEHRzT.png?1

Homework Equations

No clue since this wasn't homework and my teacher just asked me if i could try and figure out how to solve it.
dR/d∅ = V2/g [cos∅ (cos∅ + (sin∅ * cos∅) / √sin∅2 + C ) - sin∅(sin∅ + √sin∅ + C))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding different equations, but this is the only one I could find and it didn't work.
I know one angle can't be above 45 since both angles have to total to 90.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If a projectile is fired at an angle θ to the horizintal with velocity v, then the vertical component is v sin(θ) and the horizontal is v cos(θ). The distance traveled is always v T cos(θ) where T is time spent in the air. The time spent in the air can be found like this. The vertical velocity is

V(t) = v sin(θ) -g t

and this is zero when t = v sin(θ) / g which is the at the highest point. The vertical distance is

D = H + v t sin(θ) - (1/2)g t2 where H is the initial heght. So at the highest point

D = H + v sin(θ) v sin(θ) / g - (1/2)g ( v sin(θ) / g )2 = H + (1/2)v2 sin(θ)2/g.

The time in the air is

T2 = 2D/g = (gH + v2 sin(θ)2)/g2

and the square of the horizontal distance is v2cos(θ)2[(gH + v2 sin(θ)2)/g2]

With H = 0 it is obvious that θ = 45o maximises the distance. But otherwise there's no easy answer.

I found the general answer by differentiating the horizontal distance and finding the value of θ that zeros it.

cos(2θ) = g H / v2

and when H=0, the maximum is θ = 45o which agrees.

The angle at landing α is given by tan(α) = (vertical velocity)/v cos(θ)= √(gH + v2 sin(θ)2))/(vcos(θ))

and again if H = 0 the angles are equal.

[Edit : corrected an error in the last expression]

Last edited:

Related to Finding Max Range With 2 Angles

What is the concept of finding max range with 2 angles?

The concept of finding max range with 2 angles is a mathematical calculation used to determine the maximum distance that an object can travel when launched at a specific angle with a given initial velocity.

What is the formula for finding max range with 2 angles?

The formula for finding max range with 2 angles is R = (V2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the maximum range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is finding max range with 2 angles important?

Finding max range with 2 angles is important because it allows us to predict the maximum distance an object can travel, which is useful for a variety of applications such as projectile motion, ballistics, and sports.

What are the assumptions made when using the formula for finding max range with 2 angles?

The assumptions made when using the formula for finding max range with 2 angles are that the object is launched from a flat surface, there is no air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

How can finding max range with 2 angles be applied in real-life situations?

Finding max range with 2 angles can be applied in real-life situations such as determining the optimal launch angle for a projectile, calculating the range of a golf ball, or predicting the trajectory of a rocket launch.