Finding Max/Min Values for f(x,y)=x^2+y^2+2x-2y+2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Value
In summary, the equation f(x,y) has a point (-1,1) as a minimum when f(x,y) is equal to the parametric equation x=\cos(t) y=\sin(t).
Petrus
Decide max and min value for
\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^2+y^2+2x-2y+2\) where \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2 \leq1\)
progress:
for solving that equation \(\displaystyle f_x(x,y), f_y(x,y)\) we get the point \(\displaystyle (1,-1)\)
if we do parametric \(\displaystyle x= \cos(t) \, y= \sin(y)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\leq t \leq 2\pi\)
if we put those value and simplify and derivate we get
\(\displaystyle -2\sin(t)-2\cos(t)=0 <=> 1=-\tan(t)\)
that means its on second and 4th quadrants
do I take \(\displaystyle -tan^{-1}\) now?
and get now got \(\displaystyle -tan^{-1}(t)\)
so we got \(\displaystyle x=\cos(-\tan^{1}(1)) <=> t=\frac{1}{2}\), \(\displaystyle x=\sin(-\tan^{1}(1)) <=> t=\frac{1}{2}\)
is this correct?
so we got \(\displaystyle (-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2})\) and \(\displaystyle (\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2})\)
Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
progress:
for solving that equation \(\displaystyle f_x(x,y), f_y(x,y)\) we get the point \(\displaystyle (1,-1)\)
But \(\displaystyle (-1)^2+ 1^2= 2> 1\) so (1, -1) is not in the desired region and is irrelevant.

if we do parametric \(\displaystyle x= \cos(t) \, y= \sin(y)\) where \(\displaystyle 0\leq t \leq 2\pi\)
if we put those value and simplify and derivate we get
\(\displaystyle -2\sin(t)-2\cos(t)=0 <=> 1=-\tan(t)\)
that means its on second and 4th quadrants
"On second and 4th quadrants" includes a lot of territory! \(\displaystyle tan(t)= -1\) when \(\displaystyle t= 3\pi/4\) and \(\displaystyle T= -\pi/4\)

do I take \(\displaystyle -tan^{-1}\) now?
and get now got \(\displaystyle -tan^{-1}(t)\)
so we got \(\displaystyle x=\cos(-\tan^{1}(1)) <=> t=2\),
It's hard to tell what you mean. "\(\displaystyle -tan^{-1}\)" is meaningless without an argument. I take it you mean \(\displaystyle tan^{-1}(-1)\) which gives the values I give above: \(\displaystyle t= 3\pi/4\) and \(\displaystyle t= -\pi/4\)

\(\displaystyle x=\sin(-\tan^{1}(1)) <=> t=2\)
is this correct?

Regards,
I have no clue where "t= 2" cae from. There are two ways to find "\(\displaystyle \sin(\tan^{-1}(-1))[/tex]. One is to use the value of the inverse tan I gave above: \(\displaystyle \sin(3\pi/4)= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\) and \(\displaystyle sin(-\pi/4)= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\). The other is to imagine a right triangle formed with vertices (0, 0), (-1, 0), (-1, 1) so that each leg has length 1 and the tangent is -1/1= -1. Then the hypotenuse has length \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) so "opposite side over hypotenuse" is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\). Then iagine a right triangle formed with vertices (0, 0), (1, 0), (1, -1) so that, again, each leg has length 1 and the tangent is 1/-1= -1. Again the hypotenuse has length \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) so "opposite side over hypotenuse" is \(\displaystyle \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\).

Similarly for cosine.

(And you had started with x= cos(t), y= sin(t) so you have x and y reversed. Because of the symmetry, that won't matter.)\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Petrus said:
progress:

Is $f_{x} = 2\ x + 2$ and $f_{y} = 2\ y - 2$, so that You have $f_{x}=f_{y}=0$ in (-1,1). If You pass to the second derivatives You find $f_{x\ x}=2$, $f_{x\ y}=0$, $f_{y\ x} =0$ and $f_{y\ y}=2$, so that the Hessian determinant is H = 4 > 0 and the point (-1,1) is a minimum. That means that elsewhere f(x,y) has a greater value... what does that suggest to You?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks evryone I solved it now... I see what I did wrong..

Regards,

Related to Finding Max/Min Values for f(x,y)=x^2+y^2+2x-2y+2

What is the purpose of finding max/min values for a function?

Finding the maximum or minimum values of a function allows us to identify the highest or lowest point on the graph, which can provide important information about the behavior of the function and its critical points.

What is the process for finding max/min values of a function?

To find the max/min values of a function, we can use various methods such as setting the derivative of the function to zero and solving for critical points, or using the second derivative test to determine whether a critical point is a maximum or minimum.

What is the difference between a local and global maximum/minimum?

A local maximum/minimum is the highest/lowest point within a specific interval, while a global maximum/minimum is the highest/lowest point on the entire domain of the function.

How can we determine whether a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

We can use the second derivative test, which involves evaluating the second derivative of the function at the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum, and if it is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive.

Can a function have multiple maximum/minimum values?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maximum/minimum values, but it can only have one global maximum and one global minimum.