Finding matrix and the inverse is given

In summary, to find the matrix A, you need to reverse the operations of (I+2A)-1 one by one until you strip it down to A, keeping in mind the matrix value of (I+2A)-1. This will help you solve the given equation.
Vendor

Homework Statement

Using the following information, find the matrix A

(I+2A)-1 =

[-1 2]
[4 5]

Homework Equations

AA-1 = I

The Attempt at a Solution

none. I have no idea how should I start. The inverse on the whole left side is driving me crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start reversing the operations of (I+2A)-1 one by one till you strip it down to A. You know the matrix value of (I+2A)-1

Likes Vendor
FactChecker said:
Start reversing the operations of (I+2A)-1 one by one till you strip it down to A. You know the matrix value of (I+2A)-1

Thanks a lot for the response, so basically start getting the inverse of the given matrix and get rid of the -1 on the left then and keep going, is that what you mean ?

Sounds logical, not sure why I never thought of it that way. Again thank you.

That's right.

Likes Vendor
Solved and understood. Thanks again :)

Related to Finding matrix and the inverse is given

1. How do I find the inverse of a given matrix?

To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, where you manipulate the matrix through elementary row operations until it is in reduced row-echelon form. The resulting matrix will be the inverse of the original matrix.

2. What is the importance of finding the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is important because it allows you to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations that are difficult to do with non-invertible matrices.

3. Can all matrices be inverted?

No, not all matrices can be inverted. Only square matrices (where the number of rows is equal to the number of columns) that have a non-zero determinant can be inverted.

4. How do I check if the inverse of a matrix is correct?

To check if the inverse of a matrix is correct, you can multiply the original matrix by the inverse matrix. The resulting product should be the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with 1's on the main diagonal and 0's everywhere else.

5. Is there a shortcut or easier method for finding the inverse of a matrix?

Yes, some matrices have a special property called orthogonality, where the inverse of the matrix is equal to its transpose. This makes finding the inverse much easier as you only need to swap the rows and columns of the original matrix. However, this property is not common and most matrices require the Gauss-Jordan elimination method to find the inverse.