Finding Math Graduate School by Interest

In summary, the speaker is currently researching graduate school options for math and is looking for advice on how to find top schools in their areas of interest. They have looked at rankings but believe they may be biased and are seeking advice from experts in the field.
SpaceWalrus
Graduate school applications are steadily approaching, and I am begging to investigate different institutions to apply to for math. Right now, I am performing a coarse inspection of schools, based on a few criterion. One of the more important of which is how strong they are in different fields. I would like to know the top schools in my areas of interest (namely analysis, algebra, differential equations). My hope is to find some interesting research at these schools.

I have looked at a few different rankings, such as the one provided by U.S. News. However, I have a feeling that many of these lists value prestige over strength. I understand the list I seek isn't exactly a quantifiable one, and will have biased elements. Regardless, I was curious if anyone had any advice on how to search for schools by category. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should talk to the experts in the fields you're interested in at your school. They will have much better knowledge of what schools are strong in what areas than any rankings you'll find online.

Related to Finding Math Graduate School by Interest

1. How do I determine my interests in math for graduate school?

To determine your interests in math for graduate school, you can start by reflecting on your past experiences and coursework in math. Think about which topics and areas of math you have enjoyed the most and excelled in. You can also talk to professors or advisors for guidance and explore different research opportunities in math to find your interests.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a math graduate school based on my interests?

When choosing a math graduate school based on your interests, you should consider the program's focus and reputation in your specific area of interest, the faculty and their research interests, the resources and opportunities available for research in your chosen field, and the location and cost of the program.

3. How can I find math graduate schools that align with my interests?

You can start by researching different universities and their math graduate programs. Look for programs that have a strong focus in your area of interest and have faculty members whose research aligns with your interests. You can also attend graduate school fairs and talk to representatives from different universities to learn more about their programs.

4. Is it important to have a specific interest in math before applying to graduate school?

While it is not necessary to have a specific interest in math before applying to graduate school, it can be helpful to have a general idea of the field or topic that you want to pursue. This will allow you to narrow down your search and find programs that align with your interests. However, it is also common for students to explore and develop their interests further during their graduate studies.

5. Can I change my interests in math during my graduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to change your interests in math during your graduate studies. Many students may start with a general interest and then narrow it down as they delve deeper into their coursework and research. It is important to keep an open mind and explore different areas to find your true passion in math.