Finding mass in a confusing problem

In summary, the high jumper falls 3.9 m/s, lands on a foam pit and comes to rest. The pit exerts an average force of -1100 N on the jumper in breaking the fall. If the pit is able to exert an average fource of -1100 N on the high jumper in breaking the fall, what is the jumper's mass?
MissFortune
I have tried many times to figure out the formula to solve this problem. I have drawn diagrams & searched through my book numerous times. If I just had the formula to solve it, I would be fine. I don't have a scanner so I can't show you all the diagrams & whatnot but here is the problem.

" high jumper falling a 3.9 m/s, lands on a foam pit and comes to rest, compressing the pit a distance of 0.43 m. If the pit is able to exert an average fource of -1100 N on the high jumper in breaking the fall, what is the jumper's mass? "

Please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
The jumper has a velocity of 3.9 m/s just as they hit the foam, and comes to rest after traveling 0.43 m. So you need to work out the deceleration, or negative acceleration.

You have,

velocity,
distance,
acceleration.

What eqn of motion connects all three ?

Another way to look at it is, need m, have disp, veloc, and the force bringing the jumper to a halt. A quick substitution into an equation gives you what you need , but its essentially the same thing, just a different approach.

Thanks, Ill try working with that. If I have any more questions, and I am sure I will, Ill be back.

If you come back: note that you have a force and a distance. What does that suggest? Once you have that, you have the speed with which the jumper strikes the pit - from that, you should be able to get the mass. Think energy.

Note: Depending on how tricky you want to get, you might also take into account the change in gravitational potential energy of the jumper as she comes to rest. It shouldn't complicate the algebra by much.

Ok I am back.
Now I've got it down to two answers but I am not sure if I am supposed to multiply or divide at a certain point.
Is it - 0.43 * 3.9 = 1.677 * 1100 = 1845
or is it - 0.43/3.9m/s = 0.1102 * 1100 = 121

Or am I completely off?
Please help..

Related to Finding mass in a confusing problem

1. How do I determine the mass of an object in a confusing problem?

To find the mass of an object, you need to know its density and volume. You can then use the formula mass = density x volume to calculate the mass. If the problem does not provide the density and volume, you may need to use other given information, such as weight or force, to solve for the mass.

2. What do I do if I am given the weight of an object instead of the mass?

If you are given the weight of an object, you can use the formula weight = mass x gravity to solve for the mass. The value of gravity is typically given as 9.8 m/s². However, if the problem does not specify a value for gravity, you can assume the standard value of 9.8 m/s² unless told otherwise.

3. What if I am given the force acting on an object instead of the mass?

If the problem provides the force acting on an object, you can use the formula force = mass x acceleration to find the mass. The value of acceleration is typically given as 9.8 m/s². However, if the problem does not specify a value for acceleration, you can assume the standard value of 9.8 m/s² unless told otherwise.

4. What if I am given the density and volume in different units?

If the density and volume are given in different units, you will need to convert them to the same unit before using the formula mass = density x volume. Make sure to pay attention to the units and use conversion factors if needed.

5. What should I do if I am still confused about finding mass in a problem?

If you are still struggling with finding mass in a confusing problem, it may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and identify what information you have and what information you need. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate to clarify any concepts or steps you may be unsure about.