Finding Marginal PDFs: Need Help With Integrating Complex Expressions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marginal
In summary, To find $f_X(x)$ and $f_Y(y)$, you need to integrate the joint pdf $f_{X,Y}(x,y)$ with respect to x and y respectively. However, this can be a complex integration due to the exponent, but you can simplify it by completing the square and using a substitution. By using the standard integral of a normal distribution, you can solve the integral and find the desired pdfs.
nacho-man
Please see the attached image for my question. I don't understand how to compute the integral, is there some trick?
I do believe that
to find fx(x) I integrate the joint pdf, with respect to x with the bounds set as the range of Y. But this leaves me with a very complex integration
Similarly for fy(y). Is there some trick?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pdf q.jpg
    pdf q.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Please see the attached image for my question. I don't understand how to compute the integral, is there some trick?
I do believe that
to find fx(x) I integrate the joint pdf, with respect to x with the bounds set as the range of Y. But this leaves me with a very complex integration
Similarly for fy(y). Is there some trick?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi nacho!

To find $f_X(x)$ you need to integrate $f_{X,Y}(x,y)$ with respect to y.

That is:
$$f_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f_{X,Y}(x,y) dy$$

The problem is of course that exponent, but you can complete the square, do a substitution, and use the standard integral of a normal distribution.

That is:
$$f_X(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f_{X,Y}(x,y) dy
= \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{\pi\sqrt 2} \exp\left(-(y + \frac 1 2 x \sqrt 2)^2 - \frac 1 2 x^2\right) dy$$

Can you substitute $w = y + \frac 1 2 x \sqrt 2$?

And use that \(\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \exp\left(-\frac 1 2 u^2\right) du = \sqrt{2\pi}\)?

Related to Finding Marginal PDFs: Need Help With Integrating Complex Expressions?

1. How do I find the marginal PDF of a joint distribution?

To find the marginal PDF, you need to integrate the joint PDF over the variables that you are not interested in. For example, if you have a joint PDF of X and Y, to find the marginal PDF of X, you would integrate the joint PDF over Y and vice versa.

2. What is the purpose of finding marginal PDFs in statistics?

Marginal PDFs are useful for understanding the distribution of a single variable in a joint distribution. It can also be used to calculate the probability of a certain outcome for that variable.

3. Can complex expressions be integrated to find marginal PDFs?

Yes, complex expressions can be integrated to find marginal PDFs. However, it may require advanced mathematical techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, or integration by parts.

4. What is the difference between marginal PDFs and conditional PDFs?

Marginal PDFs represent the distribution of a single variable in a joint distribution, while conditional PDFs represent the distribution of a variable given the value of another variable. Marginal PDFs do not take into account any information about the other variables, while conditional PDFs do.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with finding marginal PDFs?

Yes, there are many statistical software programs that have built-in functions for finding marginal PDFs, such as R, MATLAB, and Python. These programs also have advanced tools for integrating complex expressions.