Finding magnitude of electrostatic force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three charges, with one charge (q1) located 30cm to the left of another charge (q2), and a third charge (q3) located 60cm to the right of q2. The problem also introduces the equation F=k*qq/r^2 and asks if the forces exerted by q1 and q3 on q2 would be the same, leading to the attempt to set the two forces equal to each other. The speaker asks for help or links to better understand the problem.
geryuu11

Homework Statement

Im having trouble posting the image sorry.
But there's three charges.
q1=30uC
q2=?
q3=60uC
q1 to q2 distance equals 30cm
q2 to q3 distance equals 60cm
q1 is left of q2 and q3 is to the right of q2.

Homework Equations

F=k*qq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Given where q2 is, wouldn't both of the forces that q1 and q3 exerted on q2, be the same?
So I tried setting their forces equal F(subq12)=F(subq32) and I couldn't figure out what to solve for. I've tried to look it up in my book,but this just makes it more confusing. Any help or links would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi geryuu11, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you provide a question in the Problem Statement section? As it stands there's no information about what it is you're expected to do with the information given. If this is a homework question, please provide the text of the question.

Related to Finding magnitude of electrostatic force

What is the equation for finding the magnitude of electrostatic force?

The equation for finding the magnitude of electrostatic force is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

How do I determine the direction of the electrostatic force?

The direction of the electrostatic force is determined by the relative positions of the charges. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive and if they are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of electrostatic force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used for measuring other types of forces, such as gravitational force.

Can the magnitude of electrostatic force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electrostatic force can be negative. In this case, it indicates that the force is attractive, as opposed to being positive which indicates a repulsive force.

What factors affect the magnitude of electrostatic force?

The magnitude of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. The force increases as the magnitude of the charges increases and decreases as the distance between the charges increases.