Finding magnitude and distance of a particles acceleration

In summary, the figure depicts the motion of a particle along an x axis with a constant acceleration, with a vertical scaling of 7.20 m. The magnitude and direction of the particle's acceleration can be found by using the formula Deltax = Vi*T + .5(at^2), where a = 2(xfinal - xinital)/t^2. Through collaboration, it was determined that the particle is moving in the positive x-direction from -1x_S to 0 at time 1, with its speed increasing.
Drub

Homework Statement

The figure depicts the motion of a particle moving along an x axis with a constant acceleration. The figure's vertical scaling is set by xs = 7.20 m. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the particle's acceleration ( +x or -x )?

upload_2015-8-29_15-16-29.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-8-29_15-16-55.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to be honest, first week into class and I'm struggling pretty hard. I'm not really sure where to begin with this equation to be honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Drub, welcome to PF :smile: !

All beginnings are difficult (old duch saying). But perhaps PF can help you to get going !

If we start with the end of your post, as well as with the (b) part of the exercise: what do you think: is the particle being accelerated in the +x or in the -x direction ?

Thank you for your response :)! I believe it starts accelerating negatively, but then when it crosses the x-axis it starts accelerating positively. am I on the right track here?

Actually, we might go one step back. Is it moving in the positive x-direction when it's moving from ##-1x_S## to ##0## from time 1 to 1 sec ?

I believe it is moving in the positive direction in that scenario :O?

Yes. And is its speed increasing or decreasing ?

Increasing :eek:?

EDIT: i worked with a friend on it and found out that I had to use the formula Deltax = Vi*T + .5(at^2) to solve for a. after i found that a= 2(xfinal - xinital)/t^2. I then plugged in values for 1-2, and got 4.8 m/2^2.

I didn't plug in 0 seeing as 0 would have just gotten me an acceleration of 0 since the particle was not moving.

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to be posting on here again as this is quite the challenge so far! :)

Last edited:
Increasing is good.
And working together is a good way to learn for both ! Good luck !

Related to Finding magnitude and distance of a particles acceleration

What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a particle's acceleration?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a particle's acceleration is a = √(ax^2 + ay^2 + az^2), where ax, ay, and az are the components of acceleration in the x, y, and z directions respectively.

How do you find the distance traveled by a particle given its acceleration?

To find the distance traveled by a particle given its acceleration, you can use the formula d = ½at^2, where a is the acceleration and t is the time elapsed.

What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), however it can also be measured in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

Can the magnitude of a particle's acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a particle's acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the particle is accelerating in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

How does the distance of a particle's acceleration affect its velocity?

The distance of a particle's acceleration does not directly affect its velocity. However, the time over which the acceleration occurs can impact the particle's velocity, as a longer duration of acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity.