Finding magnitude and direction of a rocket

In summary, the problem involves a model rocket being fired at an initial velocity of 50m/s at a 35 degree angle above horizontal. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the velocity at t=4s. Using the given equations, the magnitude is found to be 42.289 m/s. To find the direction, the displacement of x and y is calculated and a triangle is drawn to represent the components of velocity. Using trigonometry, the angle can be found by taking the inverse tangent of y/x.
CandyApples

Homework Statement

A model rocket has been fired with V0=50m/s at 35 degrees above horizontal. Find magnitude and direction at t=4s.

Homework Equations

V = V0+at, displacement = v0t + .5at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have successfully found the magnitude by setting Vx= 50*cos35 and Vy = 50sin35 -4g then taking the square root of each direction squared to find the magnitude is equal to 42.289 m/s. I am having trouble now, figuring out what to do to figure out the direction. I have calculated displacement of x to be 163.83m and displacement of y to be 36.32m by using the displacement equation. Any hints on how to find the angle? I thought inverse tangent of y/x would give me the correct displacement, however it did not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful. "Find the magnitude and direction" is ambiguous, but based on the fact you got the correct answer for the magnitude by taking the magnitude of the velocity, I assume the question is "Find the magnitude and direction of the velocity", not "Find the magnitude of the velocity and the direction of the displacement", which is what you solved.

If you draw a triangle you will see that Vx and Vy form a right triangle with V. You can use trig(tan) to find the angle.

Related to Finding magnitude and direction of a rocket

What is the magnitude of a rocket?

The magnitude of a rocket refers to its size or the amount of force it can produce. It is typically measured in terms of thrust, which is the amount of force the rocket's engines can generate.

How is the magnitude of a rocket calculated?

The magnitude of a rocket can be calculated by measuring its thrust and taking into account other factors such as the weight of the rocket and the air resistance it experiences during flight.

What is the direction of a rocket?

The direction of a rocket refers to the path it is traveling in. This can be influenced by factors such as the angle of its engines, the wind, and the Earth's rotation.

How is the direction of a rocket determined?

The direction of a rocket can be determined by measuring its trajectory, or the path it follows in space. This can be done using tracking systems, such as radar or GPS, or by analyzing data from the rocket's onboard sensors.

Why is it important to know the magnitude and direction of a rocket?

Knowing the magnitude and direction of a rocket is crucial for accurately predicting its flight path and ensuring it reaches its intended destination. It is also important for safety reasons, as a miscalculation in these factors could result in a failed launch or an accident.