Finding M in an Equilateral Triangle of Gravitating Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving four spheres, one at the center of an equilateral triangle formed by the other three. The goal is to find the relationship between the masses of the spheres. The conversation includes calculations and discussions on geometry and components of forces. The solution is eventually found and the question is answered.
zila24
In the figure below, two spheres of mass m and a third sphere mass M form an equilateral triangle, and a
fourth sphere of mass m4 is at the center of the triangle. The net gravitational force on m4 from the three
other spheres is zero; what is M in terms of m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

zila24 said:
In the figure below, two spheres of mass m and a third sphere mass M form an equilateral triangle, and a
fourth sphere of mass m4 is at the center of the triangle. The net gravitational force on m4 from the three
other spheres is zero; what is M in terms of m.

Hi zila24! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help you. :smile:

hi
i divided the triangle into a right triangle and found that if each side is R, for the right triangle the base would be 1/2 r and the length would be radical 3 over 2 and since the mass m4 is in the center the lengths above and below it would be radical 3 over 4
the forces of both m in the x direction would cancel each other, so we need to find out the force in the y direction, this is what I am having a problem with.

ifound the force between M and m4 (which is only in the y direction to be)- GMm4 / (3/16)d^2

i found the force for m y to be Gmm cos 49 / ( 7/16)d^2

but when i added them together to figure out the mass relationship, the answer was not right it should be M=m

zila24 said:
… since the mass m4 is in the center the lengths above and below it would be radical 3 over 4

Hi zila24! :smile:

Nooo … your geometry is wrong …

it's in the middle of the triangle, not the middle of that line. :frown:

Hint: concentrate on the small right-angled triangle at the bottom! :wink:

Oh ok so now i got the hypotenuse to be .577 and my calculation for the force to be
Gm(m4)cos 30 / (.577)^2

but it should be sin of 30 i don't get why =/

o wait is it cos of 60?

but how do i know the length between m4 and M

zila24 said:
Oh ok so now i got the hypotenuse to be .577

Yes, (√3)/6 = 0.577 is correct.

But you didn't need to calculate it, did you, since it's the same distance to all three masses? :smile:
and my calculation for the force to be
Gm(m4)cos 30 / (.577)^2

but it should be sin of 30 i don't get why =/

Because components always use the cos of the angle, and 30º isn't the angle. :smile:

ok i can solve the question now thank u for your help =) ... but i just had one last question.. i just wanted to know how you got the .577

zila24 said:
ok i can solve the question now thank u for your help =) ... but i just had one last question.. i just wanted to know how you got the .577

Now I'm confused … I thought you got the .577? :confused:

There's various ways of doing it.

One is to use that small right-angled triangle I mentioned, another is that the centre of mass is always at the one-third point. :smile:

Related to Finding M in an Equilateral Triangle of Gravitating Spheres

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for holding together planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does gravitational force work?

Gravitational force is caused by the curvature of space-time due to the presence of mass. The more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational force. The force also decreases with distance, so the farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational attraction.

3. What is the formula for gravitational force?

The formula for gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

As mentioned earlier, the force of gravity decreases with distance between two objects. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects doubles, the gravitational force between them decreases by a factor of four.

5. How does gravitational force affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational force plays a crucial role in the motion of objects. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This force is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun and satellites in orbit around the Earth.