Finding longest arithmetic progressions

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of verifying bounds on van der Waerden numbers, specifically through the use of certificates. The main issue is the limitation of memory and time with the current implementation, which uses a quadratic algorithm. Alternative methods, such as a linear space and a standard language, are suggested for further exploration.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Meta-note: This post includes both computer science and computational number theory. I could have posted it in the Programming forum, the CS forum, the NT forum, or here; I felt that this was the best place, especially since the CS forum does not actually deal with computer science these days.

I was looking to verify some of the bounds on van der Waerden numbers, in particular the new ones posted at the http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/sat/waerden.php. I thought this would be a good exercise for me, and that's what the certificates are for, right?

Apart from checking that numbers appear exactly once, the problem comes down to checking that there are no long arithmetic progressions in each of the sequences. I started by coding a direct implementation of Jeff Erickson's quadratic algorithm: Finding longest arithmetic progressions. The trouble is that the method requires an n x n array to find the longest progression in a list of length n, so verifying a lower bound of L for W(r, k) requires at least ceil(L/r)^2 memory. As I was using Pari (where a number takes at least 128 bits, I believe), this limited me to about 16,000 (in theory, with r = 2 and 1 GB of free memory) and only about 9,000 in practice (for r = 2 -- more for larger r).

Is there a good way to go further? Quadratic time and space won't let me verify large bounds. Is there a more memory-efficient algorithm, or perhaps a time-space tradeoff I can use?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
OK, for comparative purposes, here's my direct translation of Erickson's pseudocode into Pari:
Code:
longestProgression1(v)={
	my(L=matrix(#v,#v),Lstar=2,i,k,tmp);
	if(#v<3,return(#v));
	forstep(j=#v-1,1,-1,
		i=j-1;
		k=j+1;
		while(i>0 && k <= #v,
			tmp=v[i]+v[k]-2*v[j];
			if(tmp<0,
				k++
				if(tmp>0,
					L[i,j]=2;
					i--
					L[i,j]=L[j,k]+1;
					Lstar=max(Lstar,L[i,j]);
					i--;
					k++
				)
			)
		);
		while(i>0,
			L[i,j] = 2;
			i--
		)
	);
	Lstar
};

Here's a totally naive snippet that uses linear space:
Code:
longestProgression(v)={
	my(r=0,s,t,d);
	if(#v<3,return(#v));
	s=Set(v);
	for(i=1,#v-1,
		for(j=i+1,#v,
			t=2;
			d=v[j]-v[i];
			while(setsearch(s,v[i]+d*t), t++);
			r=max(r, t)
		)
	);
	r
};

I'm going to test the second to see if it's fast enough to work, but I doubt it. A standard language would do this better, though -- maybe I'll try this in C. I may also be able to use heuristics relating the the fact that I expect the numbers to be tightly packed to speed the binary search.

Related to Finding longest arithmetic progressions

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between any two consecutive terms is constant. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 is an arithmetic progression with a common difference of 3.

2. Why is finding the longest arithmetic progression important?

Finding the longest arithmetic progression is important because it has applications in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It can help in pattern recognition, data analysis, and solving mathematical problems.

3. What is the longest arithmetic progression that can be found in a set of numbers?

The longest arithmetic progression that can be found in a set of numbers is known as the maximal arithmetic progression. It is the longest sequence of numbers in the set where every consecutive pair has the same common difference. The length of this progression is usually denoted by the symbol a(n) where n is the number of terms in the progression.

4. How is the longest arithmetic progression found?

There are various algorithms and methods for finding the longest arithmetic progression. One common method is through dynamic programming, where the problem is broken down into smaller subproblems and solved iteratively. Other methods include using graph theory and combinatorial optimization techniques.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the longest arithmetic progression?

Finding the longest arithmetic progression has applications in areas such as cryptography, genetics, and music theory. In cryptography, it can be used to generate secure encryption keys. In genetics, it can help in identifying patterns in DNA sequences. In music theory, it can aid in composition and analyzing musical patterns.