Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Finding line intersection..

shamieh

Sep 13, 2013
Question: Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

\(\displaystyle x = 2\sqrt{y}, x = 0, y = 9\)

So I know what the graph looks like. But how do i find the points of intersection? wouldn't i just set them equal to eachother? so like \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{y} = 9\) and solve? but how do I solve this equation properly?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Question: Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

So I know what the graph looks like. But how do i find the points of intersection? wouldn't i just set them equal to eachother? so like \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt{y} = 9\) and solve? but how do I solve this equation properly?
You have the equation \(\displaystyle x=2\sqrt{y}\) and you have the equation $x=0$. Just plug the value of $x=0$ in the equation of the curve. So we have $2\sqrt{y}=0$ and hence by squaring we have $4y=0$ or $y=0$. Hence the curve $x=2\sqrt{y}$ intersects the y-axis at the point $(0,0)$. Similariy find the point of intersection of the two cruves $x=2\sqrt{y}$ and $y=9$.

shamieh

Sep 13, 2013
oh i see! Thanks! so then by setting y = 0 I get 9, then i plug in 9 back to the function and get 2*3 =6, so it intersects at (6,9) ?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

When doing any area or volume of region questions, the first step should ALWAYS be to do a sketch of the region. Then you can at least get an idea of where the intersections are and this can give you an idea on how to refine them.