Finding Limits Using Limit Laws (Not L'Hopital's Rule)

In summary, the conversation involved the person asking for help with a problem set and discussing their approach and solutions for various questions. The questions involved using the subtraction limit law and splitting limits to evaluate them, as well as applying the definition of derivatives for questions a) and b). The conversation also mentioned using the squeeze theorem and taking limits to evaluate the limit in question e).
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:
08b1167bae0c33982682_7.jpg

For a, I used the subtraction limit lawto get lim g(x) and lim f(x) and subtracted the answers accordingly. Then I substituted h= infinity and got 0.

For b, I applied the subtraction limit law and split the limit into two, and assessed for the limit. This gave me:
√5 / 0 - √ 5 / 0 = infinity (undefined).

For c, I split up the limit again and took the limits individually; one with the radical and the other as x by itself. This gave me infinity - infinity = 0.

As for d, I got -1 and 1 due to the absolute value, which are not equal. Thus, the limit does not exist.

Finally, for e, knowing that:

$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} $ 2π / x = infinity, I applied this to the function sin(x).

This gave me:
$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} $ sin(infinity) = 1

Taking the limit gave me √x * 1 = 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

I have a couple more questions about this problem set I've been working on. I'm doubting some of my answers and I'd appreciate some help.

Question:For a, I used the subtraction limit lawto get lim g(x) and lim f(x) and subtracted the answers accordingly. Then I substituted h= infinity and got 0.

For b, I applied the subtraction limit law and split the limit into two, and assessed for the limit. This gave me:
√5 / 0 - √ 5 / 0 = infinity (undefined).

For c, I split up the limit again and took the limits individually; one with the radical and the other as x by itself. This gave me infinity - infinity = 0.

As for d, I got -1 and 1 due to the absolute value, which are not equal. Thus, the limit does not exist.

Finally, for e, knowing that:

$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} $ 2π / x = infinity, I applied this to the function sin(x).

This gave me:
$\lim_{{x}\to{0}} $ sin(infinity) = 1

Taking the limit gave me √x * 1 = 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(8+h)^{-1}-8^{-1}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{8+h}-\frac{1}{8}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{8-(8+h)}{8(8+h)}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{-h}{8(8+h)}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-1}{8(8+h)}=-\frac{1}{64}$$

For the second one:

$$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-\sqrt{5}}{x-2}=\frac{(\sqrt{x^2+1}- \sqrt{5})(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}{(x-2)(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}=\frac{x^2-4}{(x-2)(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}=\frac{x+2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5}}$$

Now take the limit $x \to 2$ and you will see that it is not undefined.

For c:

$$\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x=\frac{(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x)(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x}=\frac{x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x}=\frac{x+1}{x \left ( \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}}+1 \right )}$$

Now take the limit $x \to +\infty$.

You are right that the limit of the question d does not exist.

For e,notice that the limit $\lim_{x \to 0} \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{x})$ does not exist.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with derivatives, but I want to point out a unique solution to a) and b) These are in a form that is awful similar to the definition of a derivative.
\(\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}\)
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}
\)a) \(\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{8+h}-\frac{1}{8}}{h}\)

We can rewrite this as: \(\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{x+h}-\frac{1}{x}}{h}\) at x = 8 = \(\displaystyle f'(8)\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{-1}{64}\)

b) \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-\sqrt{5}}{x-2}\)

We can rewrite this as: \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2} \frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a}\), where x = 2
\(\displaystyle = f'(2) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}\)

evinda said:
$$\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(8+h)^{-1}-8^{-1}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{1}{8+h}-\frac{1}{8}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{8-(8+h)}{8(8+h)}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{\frac{-h}{8(8+h)}}{h}=\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-1}{8(8+h)}=-\frac{1}{64}$$

For the second one:

$$\frac{\sqrt{x^2+1}-\sqrt{5}}{x-2}=\frac{(\sqrt{x^2+1}- \sqrt{5})(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}{(x-2)(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}=\frac{x^2-4}{(x-2)(\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5})}=\frac{x+2}{\sqrt{x^2+1}+ \sqrt{5}}$$

Now take the limit $x \to 2$ and you will see that it is not undefined.

For c:

$$\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x=\frac{(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x)(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x}=\frac{x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x}=\frac{x+1}{x \left ( \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}}+1 \right )}$$

Now take the limit $x \to +\infty$.

You are right that the limit of the question d does not exist.

For e,notice that the limit $\lim_{x \to 0} \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{x})$ does not exist.
For c, I computed 1/2, albeit I'm not too sure about that. I canceled out the x's first, and then substituted x-> infinity for the rest.

As for e, $\lim_{x \to 0} \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{x})$ due to squeeze theorem, where -1/x and 1/x also DNE.

ardentmed said:
For c, I computed 1/2, albeit I'm not too sure about that. I canceled out the x's first, and then substituted x-> infinity for the rest.

$$\lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{x+1}{x( \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}}+1)}=\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1+\frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}}+1}=\frac{1}{2}$$

So,your result is correct! (Clapping)

Last edited:
ardentmed said:
As for e, $\lim_{x \to 0} \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{x})$ due to squeeze theorem, where -1/x and 1/x also DNE.

For e,as you correctly mentioned,we know that:

$$-1 \leq \sin \left ( \frac{2 \pi}{x}\right ) \leq 1$$

So:
$$-\sqrt{x} \leq \sqrt{x} \sin \left ( \frac{2 \pi}{x}\right ) \leq \sqrt{x} \Rightarrow \lim_{x \to 0} -\sqrt{x} \leq \lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x} \sin \left ( \frac{2 \pi}{x}\right ) \leq \lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x} \Rightarrow 0 \leq \lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x} \sin \left ( \frac{2 \pi}{x}\right ) \leq 0$$

Therefore,according to the squeeze theorem:

$$\lim_{x \to 0} \sqrt{x} \sin \left ( \frac{2 \pi}{x} \right )=0$$

Related to Finding Limits Using Limit Laws (Not L'Hopital's Rule)

1. What are limit laws?

Limit laws are a set of rules that can be used to find the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a certain value. These laws involve basic arithmetic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more advanced concepts like the squeeze theorem and the chain rule.

2. How do limit laws differ from L'Hopital's rule?

Limit laws and L'Hopital's rule are both methods for finding limits, but they differ in their approach. Limit laws rely on algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits, while L'Hopital's rule uses derivatives to find the limit of a function.

3. Can limit laws be used to find the limit of any function?

Limit laws can be used to find the limit of a function as long as it satisfies certain conditions. The function must be continuous and defined at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Also, the limit laws may not work for certain types of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, in which case L'Hopital's rule may be necessary.

4. What is the squeeze theorem and how is it used in limit laws?

The squeeze theorem, also known as the sandwich theorem, states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), both approach the same limit as x approaches a certain value, and another function, f(x), is squeezed between them, then f(x) must also approach the same limit. The squeeze theorem is often used in limit laws to evaluate limits involving trigonometric functions or rational functions.

5. Can limit laws be used to find limits at infinity?

Yes, limit laws can be used to find limits at infinity by using the properties of limits. For example, if the limit of a function as x approaches infinity can be rewritten as a simple algebraic expression, then the limit can be found using limit laws. However, if the limit involves an indeterminate form, L'Hopital's rule may be necessary.