Finding Light Shifting Distance: An Exercise in Refraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance a ray of light is shifted when it strikes a flat block of glass at a certain angle. The angle of refraction is found to be 19.471 degrees and the horizontal distance traveled by the rays is determined using tan(theta) = d/2. However, upon subtracting the distances, the result does not match the expected value. Through further discussion and a provided picture, it is revealed that the mistake lies in not considering the length of the intersecting normal in the calculation.
Bri
A ray of light strikes a flat block of glass (n=1.5) of thickness 2.0 cm at an angle of 30 degrees with the normal. Find the distance the light is shifted.
I found the angle of refraction to be 19.471 degrees.
I figured I could find the horizontal distance traveled by rays going through at 30 and 19.471 degrees using tan(theta) = d/2.
Then I subtracted one distance from the other, and I get .446 cm, when, according to the book, I should get 3.88 mm.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Bri said:
A ray of light strikes a flat block of glass (n=1.5) of thickness 2.0 cm at an angle of 30 degrees with the normal. Find the distance the light is shifted.
I found the angle of refraction to be 19.471 degrees.
I figured I could find the horizontal distance traveled by rays going through at 30 and 19.471 degrees using tan(theta) = d/2.
Then I subtracted one distance from the other, and I get .446 cm, when, according to the book, I should get 3.88 mm.
What am I doing wrong?

The lines of both the incident and emerging rays are parallel, and the shift of the light rays is characterized by the distance between those parallel lines. It is the length of the intersecting normal ("S" in the picture attached).

ehild

Last edited:
Yes.I drew that line too but it is rather ugly. :p

Related to Finding Light Shifting Distance: An Exercise in Refraction

1. What is "Finding Light Shifting Distance: An Exercise in Refraction"?

"Finding Light Shifting Distance: An Exercise in Refraction" is a scientific experiment designed to measure the distance that light shifts when passing through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This exercise helps us understand how light behaves and how it can be manipulated through different materials.

2. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different materials with varying densities. This bending of light causes the light to change direction, making objects appear distorted or shifted when viewed through different mediums.

3. How is the shifting distance of light measured?

The shifting distance of light is measured by using a device called a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the angle at which light is refracted as it passes through a medium. By measuring the angle, we can calculate the distance that the light has shifted.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding refraction?

Understanding refraction has many practical applications, such as in the design of eyeglasses and contact lenses. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of cameras, microscopes, and other optical instruments. In addition, knowledge of refraction is essential in fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography.

5. What are some factors that can affect refraction?

The speed of light, the angle at which the light enters a medium, and the density of the medium are all factors that can affect refraction. Additionally, the color and wavelength of light can also impact how much it is refracted. Changes in temperature and pressure can also affect the refractive index of a material, altering the amount of refraction that occurs.