Finding Lift Force - Glider Wing

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to find the Lift Force of a wing for a semester project. The equation includes variables such as Coefficient of Lift, density of the fluid, and velocity. The individual is having trouble finding the velocity when given the force and mass of the aircraft. They eventually find the equation for Horizontal Velocity and use different conversion factors to calculate the velocity in ft/s. They also mention using a chart to determine the displacement and force of the wing.
aaronmorg
I am working on my semester project and have come across a hitch. I am trying to find the Lift Force of my wing using the following equation

FL=CL P A (v2/2)

Where:
FL is Lift Force
CL is Coefficient of Lift (I think)
P is the density of the fluid (Air)
A is the Area
V is Velocity

The only portion I cannot find is Velocity. I cannot, for the life of me, figured out Velocity when given force and mass.

I have a 3.33 lbf and a 27.999g aircraft.

Can someone please help me.

Equation so far:
FL=(.76764)(.076)(56.55)(V2/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the equation for Horizontal Velocity. Here it is for anyone else who might be stuck in the same place.

VH=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2E}{m}}[/tex]

E is energy
m is mass

In my case Energy was elasticity since my glider was flung from a rubber band. So I had to find ft-lbf, then use different conversion factors to get to a suitable velocity unit.

My work:

VH=[tex]\sqrt{\left[\frac{2(4.1625)ft-lbf}{27.999g}\right]\left[\frac{453.6g}{1 lbm}\right]\left[32.2\frac{lbm-ft}{lbf-s}\right]}[/tex]

Leaving me with Velocity in Ft/s

VH= 65.899 ft/s

Additional Information:

I was given a chart, from whence I figured that 15 in displacement gave 3.33 lbf, and converted to ft-lbf, giving me my E.

Last edited:

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your equation. The velocity (V) in this equation represents the airspeed at which the wing is moving. To find the velocity, you will need to use the equation for Newton's Second Law, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) times acceleration (a). In this case, the force is the Lift Force (FL) and the mass is the weight of the aircraft (27.999g converted to kg). Therefore, the equation would be:

FL = m x a

Rearranging the equation, we get:

a = FL/m

Since acceleration is the change in velocity over time, we can use this equation to find the velocity:

V = a x t

We can assume that the time it takes for the aircraft to reach a certain speed is very small, so we can use a value of 1 second for t. Therefore, the final equation for finding the velocity would be:

V = FL/(m x t)

Plugging in the values from your problem, we get:

V = 3.33 lbf / (0.027999 kg x 1 s) = 119.01 m/s

I hope this helps you with your project. Best of luck!

Related to Finding Lift Force - Glider Wing

1. What is lift force and why is it important in glider wing design?

Lift force is the upward force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air. In glider wing design, lift force is important because it allows the glider to stay airborne and counteract the force of gravity, allowing it to glide and maneuver.

2. How is lift force generated on a glider wing?

Lift force is generated on a glider wing through a combination of factors, including the shape and angle of the wing, the speed and direction of the air flow over the wing, and the density of the air. This creates a difference in air pressure above and below the wing, which results in an upward force.

3. What factors affect the amount of lift force produced by a glider wing?

The amount of lift force produced by a glider wing is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the wing, the airfoil design, the angle of attack, the speed of the glider, and the air density. These factors determine the strength and direction of the lift force.

4. How do scientists and engineers determine the optimal lift force for a glider wing?

Scientists and engineers use various methods, such as wind tunnel testing and computer simulations, to study the aerodynamics of glider wings and determine the optimal lift force for a specific design. They can also use mathematical equations, such as the Lift Equation, to calculate the lift force based on the wing's characteristics and the surrounding air conditions.

5. Can lift force be increased on a glider wing without changing its shape or size?

Yes, lift force can be increased on a glider wing without changing its shape or size by adjusting the angle of attack, which is the angle between the wing and the direction of the airflow. By increasing the angle of attack, more air is directed over the wing, creating a greater difference in air pressure and thus, a stronger lift force.