Finding Length with rpm and static friction

In summary, a bug is crawling on a spinning compact disc and the question is asking how far it can travel before slipping off. The key is to find the critical condition when the static friction can no longer provide the necessary centripetal acceleration for the bug to rotate with the disc. Using the formula (static friction)(normal force)=(mv^2)/r and converting the given 190 rev/min to angular velocity, the correct answer can be found. It is important to note that angular velocity is not the same as linear velocity and a conversion must be made using the formula v= r \omega .
orange03

Homework Statement

A bug crawls outward from the center of a compact disc spinning at 190 revolutions per minute. The coefficient of static friction between the bug's sticky feet and the disc surface is 1.4. How far does the bug get from the center before slipping?

Homework Equations

(static friction)(normal force)=(mv^2)/r
v=2pir/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 190 rev/min into rad/sec, assuming that is how to find velocity. I got 19.89 rad/sec. I put (static friction)(mg)=mv^2/r equal to each other and got 14 meters as my r. However, this answer is wrong and I have no idea how else to solve this problem. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
orange03 said:

Homework Statement

A bug crawls outward from the center of a compact disc spinning at 190 revolutions per minute. The coefficient of static friction between the bug's sticky feet and the disc surface is 1.4. How far does the bug get from the center before slipping?

Homework Equations

(static friction)(normal force)=(mv^2)/r
v=2pir/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 190 rev/min into rad/sec, assuming that is how to find velocity. I got 19.89 rad/sec. I put (static friction)(mg)=mv^2/r equal to each other and got 14 meters as my r. However, this answer is wrong and I have no idea how else to solve this problem. Help please!

Welcome to PF. :)

You are very very close, I think you just made some small mistake along the way. You were correct in realizing the critical condition is when the static friction can no longer supply the bug with the centripetal acceleration required for him to rotate with the disc.
(Conversely, from the bug's accelerated frame of reference, the static friction can no longer counter-balance the centrifugal force)Try it like this instead:
Centripetal acceleration= [tex]\omega^2 r[/tex]
[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]
[tex]f[/tex]=The frequency of the rotations.

What's the textbook's answer, by the way?

How is velocity rad/sec? I thought the definition of velocity was [tex]\frac{length}{time}[/tex] and it seems that you are using meters as length...

Also from class you should know that radians are dimensionless.

So if angles are measured in radians, what is the quantity 19.89 rad/sec you calculated called?

would f=190 rev/min? and how would i find centripetal acceleration?

I think I got confused because the only factor I was missing was velocity so I just made 19.89 rad/sec into velocity but I think it's angular velocity.

orange03 said:

I think I got confused because the only factor I was missing was velocity so I just made 19.89 rad/sec into velocity but I think it's angular velocity.

That is correct.

For circular motion, what is the centripetal acceleration?

If you wish to prove to yourself the relation I suggested you use, then the following will prove helpful:
[tex]\omega=\tfrac{V}{r}[/tex]
For every one radian the bug rotates, he moves across an arc length equal to his distance from the center times the one radian he's rotated (Draw this out and remember your circle geometry).

Okay, thank you! I will try to work this out. I don't have the answers bc the homework is online.

orange03 said:
Okay, thank you! I will try to work this out. I don't have the answers bc the homework is online.

Okay, just for reference, I got 0.03469m (I used [tex]g\approx 9.81 \tfrac{m}{s^2}[/tex])

orange03 said:

You are correct however you should in future note that you can't make anything into something else without doing something to it first!

Meaning, angular velocity is NOT linear velocity. that's like saying radians (angle) equals meters (length). Which makes no sense!

So in order to convert you have to use the formula Royal Cat gave, [tex] v= r \omega [/tex] (velocity) = (distance) x (angular velocity)

Related to Finding Length with rpm and static friction

1. How does rpm affect the length of an object?

Rpm, or revolutions per minute, does not directly affect the length of an object. However, it can indirectly affect the length by causing an increase in the object's temperature, which can cause it to expand and therefore increase in length.

2. How does static friction impact the measurement of length?

Static friction can affect the measurement of length by creating resistance against motion and preventing an object from moving freely. This resistance can make it difficult to accurately measure the length of an object.

3. Can rpm and static friction be used to determine the length of an object?

Yes, rpm and static friction can be used to determine the length of an object in certain situations. For example, if an object is rotating at a constant rpm and the static friction between its surface and another object is known, the length of the object can be calculated using a formula that takes these factors into account.

4. How can I measure the length of an object with rpm and static friction?

To measure the length of an object using rpm and static friction, you will need to know the rpm of the object and the magnitude of the static friction. With this information, you can use a formula to calculate the length of the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using rpm and static friction to find length?

Yes, there are some limitations to using rpm and static friction to find length. These methods may not be accurate if the object is not rotating at a constant rpm or if there are other external factors affecting the amount of static friction. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be impacted by human error or limitations in the measuring equipment.