Finding Ix in Switch Circuit at Different Times

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current (Ix) in a circuit with a closed switch that opens at t=0. The current is calculated to be 0.3A when the switch is open, and it is not clear if this is also the current when the switch is closed. The equation used to solve for the current at t=40ms results in a small number, and it is uncertain if the current through an inductor can change instantaneously. The diagram provided is ambiguous and does not clearly indicate the state of the switch at t=0.
jeuceda

Homework Statement

Assume that the switch in the figure has been closed for a long time and opens after in t=0.
Find Ix in a) 0- b)0+ c) 40ms
upload_2015-9-21_19-36-19.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Switch is opened in t=0, current flows only in the 10Ω resistor, Ix=3v/10Ω= 0.3A-> 0-
0+ --> 3v/10=0.3A
Not sure if both currents are the same, and for the 40ms, when solving the equation (τ=L/R) τ (tau) results in a small number.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think it's possible for the current through an inductor to change instantaneously?

It might help to see your work for part c in order to check it.

axmls said:
Do you think it's possible for the current through an inductor to change instantaneously?

It might help to see your work for part c in order to check it.

No couldt change instantaneously.
this is what i have for part c
τ=L/R -> (500mH)/70Ω=7.14ms

i(t)= i(∞)-(i(∞)-i(0+))e^(-t/τ)
i(40)= ?

That where I am stuck

Hi jeuceda. :welcome:

jeuceda said:

The Attempt at a Solution

when the switch is open Ix=3v/10Ω= 0.3A
What assumptions allow you to say this?

When the switch is closed Ix=0.3A
How did you calculate this?

Not sure if both currents are the same, and for the 40ms, when solving the equation τ (tau) results in a small number.
You mention an equation. What is your equation, exactly?

It is clearer when you include a phrase such as "at the moment before the switch is closed ...", or "once the switch has been open for a long time ...", to confirm precisely what you are talking about.

BTW, the diagram is ambiguous; it is not clear from the diagram whether at time t=0 the switch is opened after having already been closed for a long time, or whether it is being closed at t=0 having prior to this been open for a long time. The textbook's double-headed arrow would be better drawn with only one arrow head.

Related to Finding Ix in Switch Circuit at Different Times

1. What is the purpose of finding Ix in a switch circuit at different times?

The purpose of finding Ix in a switch circuit at different times is to analyze the behavior of the current in the circuit over time. This information can help in troubleshooting any issues or identifying any irregularities in the circuit.

2. How is Ix calculated in a switch circuit?

Ix can be calculated in a switch circuit using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This equation can be rearranged to V = Ix * R, where Ix is the current at a specific time in the circuit.

3. What factors can affect the value of Ix in a switch circuit?

The value of Ix in a switch circuit can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the capacitance and inductance of the circuit. The position and duration of the switch can also impact the value of Ix.

4. How does the value of Ix change at different times in a switch circuit?

The value of Ix can change over time in a switch circuit due to the charging and discharging of the circuit components. When the switch is first closed, Ix will increase as the circuit charges. As the switch is opened, Ix will decrease as the circuit discharges.

5. What are some potential applications of analyzing Ix in a switch circuit at different times?

Analyzing Ix in a switch circuit at different times can be useful in various applications, such as designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, optimizing circuit performance, and understanding the behavior of complex circuits. It can also be applied in fields such as telecommunications, power systems, and computer engineering.