Finding inverse of a function involving ln.

In summary, the conversation discusses the plot and inverse function of f(x)=5+ln(-2x+3). It is mentioned that the inverse of ln(x) is exp(x) and to find the inverse of a function, one must solve for x and swap x and y. However, when plotting the functions using Maple, it is noticed that they are not inverses. The conversation ends with a realization that the theory on the geometry of inverses may have been incorrect.
sp09ta
1. Plot f(x)=5+ln(-2x+3), and its inverse.

2. I know the inverse of ln(x) is exp(1)^(x)., and to find the inverse of a function, solve for x then swap the x and y.

3. y=5+ln(-2x+3)
y-5=ln(-2x+3)
exp(1)^(y-5)=(-2x+3)
(-1/2)*[exp(1)^(y-5)-3]=x

y=(-1/2)*[exp(1)^(x-5)-3]

However when I plot these functions using maple, I notice that they are definitely not inverse... :( what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good (although it beats me why you write exp(1)^p instead of just exp(p) or e^p).
How can you "see" that they are not inverses?
If you plug x = (-1/2)*[exp(y-5)-3]=x into 5+ln(-2x+3), you get y right?

Oh, I guess my theory on the geometry of inverses was a little off. I write exp(1)^p because its the maple command that I was using. Thanks for your comment!

Hehe, you're welcome.
Sometimes all you need is a little reminder on the definitions :)

Related to Finding inverse of a function involving ln.

1. What does it mean to find the inverse of a function involving ln?

Finding the inverse of a function involving ln means finding a new function that undoes the original function. In other words, the input and output of the original function are switched in the inverse function.

2. Why is finding the inverse of a function involving ln necessary?

Finding the inverse of a function involving ln is necessary in order to solve equations involving logarithms. It allows us to isolate the variable in the equation and find its exact value.

3. How do you find the inverse of a function involving ln?

To find the inverse of a function involving ln, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the function in exponential form. Then, switch the input and output variables to create the inverse function.

4. Are there any restrictions when finding the inverse of a function involving ln?

Yes, there are some restrictions when finding the inverse of a function involving ln. The original function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. Also, the input of the original function cannot be 0 or a negative number.

5. How do you verify if a function is the inverse of another function involving ln?

To verify if a function is the inverse of another function involving ln, you can compose the two functions and see if they result in the identity function, where the input and output are the same. You can also graph the two functions and see if they are reflections of each other over the line y = x.