Finding Intensity from an Electric Dipole

In summary, the problem is trying to find the power of an antenna at sea level when the transmitter is located at a mountain 2.00 km above sea level. The equation used is I=P/(4πr2), and the solution is found using P*sin2θ/(4πr2).
RLOrion
The problem:

You and your engineering crew are in charge of setting up a wireless telephone network for a village in a mountainous region. The transmitting antenna of one station is an electric dipole antenna located atop a mountain 2.00 km above sea level. There is a nearby mountain that is 7 km away and is also 2.00 km above sea level. At that location, one member of the crew measures the intensity of the signal to be 4E-12 W/m2. What should be the intensity of the signal at the village that is located at sea level and 1.50 km from the transmitter?

Relevant Equations:

I=P/(4πr2)

Attempt at a Solution:

I decided to use the intensity measured on the opposite mountain to calculate the power of the antenna, and then use that answer to find the sea level intensity.

4*10-12=P/(4π70002)

P=0.00246 W

For sea level intensity:

r2=20002+15002 by Pythagorean theorem

I=0.00246/(4π(20002+15002))

Using this method, I got 3.136E-11 W/m2, which is apparently wrong. That's the only way I can think of to do the problem, so I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, RLOrion. Welcompe to PF!

Look at the note above problem 24 here .

Thanks! I assume you're talking about the intensity varying by sin2(θ)/r2 if it's a dipole. Thanks for pointing that out; this is a Webassign problem, so that bit wasn't given.

I tried introducing this into the equation, but I still must be doing it wrong. It seemed to me that the power calculation wouldn't change as long as it's measured at the same altitude, assuming the dipole is vertically oriented. That would just make θ=90, so sin2(θ)=1.

I changed the expression for I at sea level to P*sin2(θ)/(4πr2)
I found θ by calculating tan-1(1.5/2), which equals 36.87 degrees. Sin2(36.87)=0.36, and so I multiplied my original answer by 0.36 to get 1.129E-11 W/m2, which was still incorrect.

Sorry, could you give me another hint?

For a dipole antenna, the formula for the intensity would not be I = Psin2θ/(4##\pi##r2). Some of the constants in the formula would be different.

But all you need to know is that I is proportional to sin2θ/r2. Consider the ratio I2/I1 at the two locations.

EDIT: After plugging in numbers I get the same answer of 1.13 x 10-11 W/m2. I don't see where the mistake can be. I will think some more about it. One thing that sort of bothers me is that the problem isn't very clear about the exact location of the transmitter. At first I thought it would be up by the antenna, but that would put it more than 1.5 km from sea level. So, then I thought the transmitter might be at the base of the the mountain. But this apparently gives the answer we are getting. I noticed that all the numbers in the problem are the same as in problem 26 in the link I gave except for the distance between the two mountains which for your problem is 7 km. Is that right?

Last edited:
Yes, all the numbers except the distance are the same in the problem; Webassign changes some of the values for each question. I finally got the answer 55.7 pW/m2 using Webassign's practice questions, though I'm still not sure how to do the problem. I just divided the answer I was getting by the given answer in the practice problems, and found that my answer was off by the same factor each time.

What confused me was that the answer was greater than the one I was getting before I took θ into account. This seemed to imply that the angle of the antenna couldn't be vertical, and was closer to perpendicular with the ground receiver than the one on the opposite mountain. If that's the case, I wouldn't know how to even measure the power.

I ran across someone's solution to the same problem with all the same numbers except for the distance between the mountains (which they have as 4.0 km).

They take r to be the distance between the transmitter and the village (1.5 km ). I don't see how this can be if the antenna is 2.0 km above sea level and the village is at sea level! I keep trying to visualize how that can be.

Also, their solution uses θ = 53.1o (the complement of 36.9o). Again, I can't understand why. I keep thinking that I'm misinterpreting the wording of the problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see why r would be that distance either. It seems to me that 53.1° would be correct if the angle of the antenna was horizontal, but that would cause the intensity at the opposite mountain to be measured as zero.

I just did the math using the method you described and got the right answer! I'm surprised that the 2 km height wasn't relevant, however.

Last edited:

Related to Finding Intensity from an Electric Dipole

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal but opposite electric charges that are separated by a small distance. It can exist in various forms, such as two point charges or a pair of opposite charges on a molecule.

2. How is intensity defined for an electric dipole?

Intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field. For an electric dipole, it is defined as the electric field strength at a point in space, multiplied by the distance from the dipole. It is represented by the symbol I and has units of volts per meter (V/m).

3. What factors affect the intensity of an electric dipole?

The intensity of an electric dipole is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the orientation of the dipole. The greater the charges and the closer they are, the higher the intensity. Additionally, the intensity is strongest when the dipole is aligned with the electric field lines.

4. How can the intensity be calculated from an electric dipole?

The intensity can be calculated using the following formula: I = 2kqd/r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the magnitude of the charges, d is the distance between them, and r is the distance from the dipole. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by measuring the electric field strength at a point and multiplying it by the distance from the dipole.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding intensity from an electric dipole?

Understanding the intensity of an electric dipole is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, chemistry, and physics. It is used in the design of electronic circuits, determining the polarity of molecules, and studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as radio antennas, lasers, and particle accelerators.