Finding Integer Solutions for a Fifth Degree Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the rational root theorem suggests that the only integer solution to the equation is x= 4.
mathland
Solve for x∈ℤ.

x^5-15x^3-x-60 = 0

How do I get started? I think the solution is not over the real numbers.

You say?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathland said:
Solve for x∈ℤ.

x^5-15x^3-x-60 = 0

How do I get started? I think the solution is not over the real numbers.

You say?
This is a bit high level for you, isn't it? There is no way to solve a quintic equation in general, though there are some tricks you can employ. Graphically we can see how many real solutions there are. (There are three.)

Have you covered the "rational root theorem?" There is a rational (actually integer) solution you can find, but unless you use Excel or something it will be a bit of a hassle to get. Once you get that you can use synthetic division to reduce it to a quartic equation. There is a way to solve these (see the section "solution") but it's pretty hairy. Unless you need to find all of the roots I'd leave it with the integer solution.

-Dan

odd degree says the equation has to at least one real root. could be ...

1 real & 4 imaginary, or

3 real & 2 imaginary, or

all 5 real

rational root theorem shows there is one real root that is rational

The problem specifically says that you are to solve for x in Z, the set of integers, so, yes, the solution is not over the real numbers!

And the set of all integers is a subset of the set of rational number so I would start by using the
"rational root theorem" suggested by TopSquark and Klaas Van Aarsen.

The rational root theorem says that any rational root of the polynomial equation $\alpha_nx^n+ \alpha_{n-1}x^{n- 1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \alpha_1 x+ \alpha_0= 0$ is of the form $\frac{a}{b}$ where a divides $\alpha_0$ and b divides $\alpha_n$.

Here $\alpha_0= 1$ so the denominator must be 1- any rational root must be an integer. $\alpha_n= 60$ so any integer solution must be a divisor of 60. Such numbers are 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, 6, -6, 10, -10, 12, -12, 15, -15, 30, -30, 60, and -60. Try those into the equation to see which, if any, of those actually satisfy the equation.

Thanks everyone.

I get x= 4 as the only integer solution.
I wrote a short program to evaluate the polynomial at the values of x above.
(I accidently left 5 and -5 from the list of possible roots but they are not actually roots.)

Last edited:

Related to Finding Integer Solutions for a Fifth Degree Equation

What is a fifth degree equation?

A fifth degree equation is a polynomial equation in which the highest exponent of the variable is five. It can be written in the form ax^5 + bx^4 + cx^3 + dx^2 + ex + f = 0, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and x is the variable.

What is the general solution to a fifth degree equation?

Unlike lower degree equations, there is no general algebraic solution for fifth degree equations. In other words, there is no formula that can be used to find the exact solutions for all fifth degree equations. However, there are numerical methods that can be used to approximate the solutions.

How many solutions can a fifth degree equation have?

A fifth degree equation can have up to five solutions, but it is also possible for it to have fewer solutions or no real solutions at all. This depends on the specific coefficients of the equation and the nature of its roots.

What is the difference between a fifth degree equation and a fifth degree polynomial?

A fifth degree equation is a specific type of polynomial equation, while a fifth degree polynomial is a polynomial function of degree five. In other words, a fifth degree equation is an equation that can be solved to find the values of x, while a fifth degree polynomial is a function that can be evaluated for different values of x.

What are some real-life applications of fifth degree equations?

Fifth degree equations can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and economic trends. They can also be used in engineering and physics to solve problems related to motion, heat transfer, and other phenomena. Additionally, fifth degree equations are used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt data.