Finding Input to Output Ratio for Steady Water Flow

In summary, the problem involves calculating the ratio of input to output diameter for a steady flow of water through a nozzle at a given inlet speed and pressure. Assuming air pressure outside, the solution requires using the equation \Delta(v^2) = \left(\frac{2}{\rho}\right)\,\Delta P to find the exit speed.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Water flows into a nozzle at 3.00 m/s at a pressure of 1.31*105Pa. What should the ratio of input to output diameter be if the flow is to remain steady? What is the flow speed at the exit?

Homework Equations

[tex]
P_{{\rm{input}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{input}}}^2 }}{2} = P_{{\rm{atmosphere}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{output}}}^{\rm{2}} }}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is to simply say that a 1:1 input:eek:utput ratio with the water flowing out at the same speed as it flows in should do the trick. But that would be too easy. I guess that I'm to assume that the pressure outside is air pressure. If so, am I doing it right?
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
P_{{\rm{input}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{input}}}^2 }}{2} = P_{{\rm{atmosphere}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{output}}}^{\rm{2}} }}{2} \\
\\
P_{{\rm{input}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{input}}}^2 }}{2} - P_{{\rm{atmosphere}}} = \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{output}}}^{\rm{2}} }}{2} \\
\\
\frac{{2\left( {P_{{\rm{input}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{input}}}^2 }}{2} - P_{{\rm{atmosphere}}} } \right)}}{\rho } = v_{{\rm{output}}}^{\rm{2}} \\
\\
v_{{\rm{output}}}^{} = \sqrt {\frac{{2\left( {P_{{\rm{input}}} + \frac{{\rho v_{{\rm{input}}}^2 }}{2} - P_{{\rm{atmosphere}}} } \right)}}{\rho }} \\
\\
v_{{\rm{output}}}^{} = \sqrt {\frac{{2\left( {1.31 \times 10^5 \,{\rm{Pa}} + \frac{{\left( {1000\frac{{{\rm{kg}}}}{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{3}} }}} \right)\left( {3.00\,{\rm{m/s}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)}}{2} - 101.325 \times 10^3 \,{\rm{Pa}}} \right)}}{{\left( {1000\frac{{{\rm{kg}}}}{{{\rm{m}}^{\rm{3}} }}} \right)}}} = 5.58{\rm{ m/s}} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2 \\
\\
\frac{{A_1 }}{{A_2 }} = \frac{{v_2 }}{{v_1 }} = \frac{{3.00\;{\rm{m/s}}}}{{{\rm{5}}{\rm{.58}}\,{\rm{m/s}}}} = 0.5376 \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
Water flows into a nozzle at 3.00 m/s at a pressure of 1.31*105Pa. What should the ratio of input to output diameter be if the flow is to remain steady? What is the flow speed at the exit?

My first guess is to simply say that a 1:1 input:eek:utput ratio with the water flowing out at the same speed as it flows in should do the trick. But that would be too easy. I guess that I'm to assume that the pressure outside is air pressure. If so, am I doing it right?

Hi tony! :smile:

Yes … air pressure …

but it would be simpler just to say

[tex] \Delta(v^2) = \left(\frac{2}{\rho}\right)\,\Delta P[/tex]

[tex] v_1 = \sqrt{v_0^2\ +\ \left(\frac{2}{\rho}\right)\,\Delta P\ }[/tex] :smile:

I would first check the equations and units used in the solution. The equations used seem to be appropriate for solving this problem, but I would double check the units to make sure they are consistent.

Next, I would consider the assumptions made in the solution. The solution assumes that the pressure outside the nozzle is equal to atmospheric pressure, which may not always be the case. I would also consider the assumptions made about the flow being steady and the water flowing in and out at the same speed.

I would also consider the limitations of the solution. This solution assumes a steady flow and does not take into account any turbulence or other factors that may affect the flow. It also assumes a perfect nozzle with no losses or obstructions.

Finally, I would suggest testing the solution through experimentation or using computational fluid dynamics to verify the results. This would help to ensure that the solution is accurate and applicable in real-world situations.

Related to Finding Input to Output Ratio for Steady Water Flow

What is the purpose of finding the input to output ratio for steady water flow?

The purpose of finding the input to output ratio for steady water flow is to determine the amount of water that is being input into a system and the resulting output, in order to understand the efficiency of the system.

How is the input to output ratio calculated for steady water flow?

The input to output ratio is calculated by dividing the amount of water input into a system by the amount of water output from the system over a specific period of time. This can be represented as a fraction or a decimal value.

Why is it important to maintain a steady water flow in a system?

Maintaining a steady water flow is important in order to ensure the proper functioning of the system. If there is too much or too little water input, it can cause problems such as blockages, leaks, or decreased efficiency.

What factors can affect the input to output ratio for steady water flow?

The input to output ratio for steady water flow can be affected by a variety of factors, including changes in water pressure, temperature, and viscosity, as well as any obstructions or restrictions in the system.

How can the input to output ratio be optimized for maximum efficiency?

The input to output ratio can be optimized for maximum efficiency by making sure that the system is properly designed and maintained, using efficient equipment and technology, and regularly monitoring and adjusting the flow rate to ensure it is within the desired range.