Finding initial velocity of basketball

In summary, a basketball player makes a 2.50 m shot at a 30 degree angle above the horizontal from a distance of 6.00 m. The hoop is located 3.00 m above the ground. To calculate the velocity needed for the ball to go into the hoop, the equations used were v^2=Vi^2+2a*x and the initial velocity in the x direction was Vcos30, while in the y direction it was Vsin30. The acceleration in the y direction was -9.8 m/s^2. The final answer is 8.91 m/s.
jk2455
A basketball player makes a shot from a height of 2.50 m at an angle of 30 degrees above
the horizontal. The horizontal distance between the player and the hoop is 6.00 m. The
hoop is 3.00m above the ground. Find the magnitude of the initial velocity of the ball
which will cause it to go into the basket is.

answer is 8.91m/s

Homework Statement

given:
x direction--> delta x=6m Vi=Vcos30 a=0
y direction--> delta y=0.5m Vi=Vsin30 a= -9.8

Homework Equations

v^2=Vi^2+2a*x ?( i think|)

The Attempt at a Solution

i am a bit confused a little help please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jk2455! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ and a degree: ° and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
jk2455 said:
x direction--> delta x=6m Vi=Vcos30 a=0
y direction--> delta y=0.5m Vi=Vsin30 a= -9.8

v^2=Vi^2+2a*x ?( i think|)

fine so far :smile:

but you only have vi s and a, not vf

(and you don't want to find vf and then eliminate it … that won't work … you want to find t and then eliminate it :wink:),

so instead of vf2 = vi2 + 2as, you need one of the other https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=204" equations :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks ill try that
and thanks for the note on top it will make things a bit easier
(have a delta: ∆ and a degree: ° and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box )
:smile:

thanks i got it

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into parts and using the appropriate equations to solve for the initial velocity.

First, I would find the time it takes for the ball to reach the hoop using the equation y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where y0 is the initial height (2.50 m), v0 is the initial velocity in the y direction (unknown), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. Solving for t, we get t = 0.319 seconds.

Next, I would use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 to find the initial velocity in the x direction. Since the ball travels a horizontal distance of 6.00 m, we can set x0 = 0 and x = 6.00 m. Solving for v0, we get v0 = 18.78 m/s.

Finally, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the initial velocity. The Pythagorean theorem states that c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are the side lengths of a right triangle. In this case, c represents the magnitude of the initial velocity, a represents the initial velocity in the x direction (18.78 m/s), and b represents the initial velocity in the y direction (unknown). Solving for b, we get b = 8.91 m/s.

Therefore, the magnitude of the initial velocity of the ball is approximately 8.91 m/s.

Related to Finding initial velocity of basketball

1. What is the equation for finding initial velocity of a basketball?

The equation for finding initial velocity of a basketball is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How is initial velocity of a basketball measured?

Initial velocity of a basketball can be measured using a radar gun or a high-speed camera. The radar gun measures the velocity of the ball as it leaves the player's hand, while the high-speed camera records the motion of the ball and allows for frame-by-frame analysis.

3. Can initial velocity of a basketball be affected by external factors?

Yes, initial velocity of a basketball can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, spin, and the surface on which the ball bounces. These factors can cause slight variations in the initial velocity of the ball.

4. Why is it important to know the initial velocity of a basketball?

Knowing the initial velocity of a basketball can help in understanding the performance of the player and the trajectory of the ball. It can also be used to analyze and improve the player's technique and to make predictions about the path of the ball.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the initial velocity of a basketball?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating the initial velocity of a basketball. Factors such as human error, measurement equipment limitations, and external factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the initial velocity may vary during a game depending on the player's technique and the condition of the ball and court.