Finding Impulse Response from Block Diagram

In summary, the impulse response is y when ##u = \delta(t)##, but the exponential term comes from v' = abu + av.
Graphite

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Where $$v = y - bu$$
It's given that the transfer function is
$$h(t) = b u(t) + v(t) = b \delta(t) + e^{at}b \mu(t)$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure out how the impulse response above was found. I understand that the impulse response is y when ##u = \delta(t)##, but I'm not sure where the exponential comes from. One of the steps in the problem is
$$
y(t) = bu(t) + \int_{t_{0}}^{t} e^{a(t-\tau)} abu (\tau) d \tau
$$
where the second term on the right is v. Going by the diagram, shouldn't v be equal to the following?
$$
v = \int_{t_{0}}^{t} u(\tau) ab + v(\tau)a \; d\tau
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is v' = abu + av or abu - av or what? You need to put + or - signs in front of all your arrows.
The evolution of the exponential term will be apparent if you replace the integrator with a 1/s block and solve for V(s) or Y(s) and then invert back to the time domain.
You wrote "μ" in the exponential term, I think you meant "u".

Likes Graphite
It's v' = abu + av. The arrows are all positive.
So taking the Laplace transform of v' gives me
$$
\dot{V} = abu + ay \\
s V(s) = ab + a V(s)
$$
Since u is a unit impulse, the transform would just be 1, right? After that,
$$
V(s) = \frac{ab}{s-a} \frac{1}{s}
$$
Using partial fractions, I'm getting
$$
\frac{b}{s-a} - \frac{b}{s} \rightarrow b e^{at} - b
$$
I understand where the exponential is coming from, but I know I'm making a mistake somewhere above since I should be getting ##be^{at} \mu##

I double checked also, and the it is mu that is being used, not u. I think my professor is just using different notation, where u is input and mu is the unit step function.

Graphite said:
It's v' = abu + av. The arrows are all positive.
So taking the Laplace transform of v' gives me
$$
\dot{V} = abu + ay \\
No. Look at the diagram.
Further, your "given' output y is wrong. It's y = bδ(t) + ab eat u(t).
But I think you have the right idea, and yes, the laplace transform of δ(t) is 1.

BTW I use u(t) to mean the step function. This is standard notation. I've never seen anyone use μ(t) for that. Use x(t) for the input, not u(t).

Last edited:
I'm now seeing where I made my mistake.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Finding Impulse Response from Block Diagram

1. What is impulse response in a block diagram?

Impulse response in a block diagram refers to the output signal that is produced when an impulse input is applied to the system. It represents the characteristic behavior of the system and can be used to analyze its performance and stability.

2. How can I find the impulse response from a block diagram?

To find the impulse response from a block diagram, you can use the convolution integral, which involves multiplying the input signal with the transfer function of the system. The resulting output signal is the impulse response.

3. Can I use a different method to find the impulse response?

Yes, there are other methods to find the impulse response from a block diagram, such as the Laplace transform or the z-transform. However, the convolution method is the most commonly used and easiest to understand.

4. What information can I get from the impulse response of a system?

The impulse response of a system can provide important information about its stability, frequency response, and overall behavior. It can also be used to design and analyze control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the impulse response from a block diagram?

The accuracy of the impulse response obtained from a block diagram depends on the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the transfer function. In some cases, the impulse response may not accurately reflect the behavior of the system due to nonlinearities or time-varying elements.